Drawing Arrows Macro For Matching Cells

BrettFoster

Hi,

The issue that I need help with is as follows: let's say I have a cell in column H labeled Analyze Issues. In column M, I have the same cell. I want create a macro that draws an arrow from Analyze Issues in column H to the the matching cell in column M.

This macro works:

Sub MG11Jan25()
Dim Rng As Range, Dn As Range
Set Rng = Range(Range("H3"), Range("M" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
.CompareMode = vbTextCompare
For Each Dn In Rng
If Not IsNumeric(Dn) Then
If Not .Exists(Dn.Value) Then
.Add Dn.Value, Dn
Else
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(Dn.Left + (Dn.Width / 2), Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2), .Item(Dn.Value).Left + (.Item(Dn.Value).Width / 2), .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2)).Select
End If
End If
Next
End With
End Sub

However, there are two problems: I need the lines it draws to not attach to the center of the cells, but at the right end of the cells in H and at the left end of the cells in column M. Furthermore, I would like the lines to be a little offset from the end of the cells, or with a little distance between the cells edge and and the end of the arrow/line.

Regards,

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Like this?

Code:
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(Dn.Left, Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2), .Item(Dn.Value).Left + (.Item(Dn.Value).Width), .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2)).Select

Upvote 0
Andrew,

Thank you so much for your quick response to this issue.

I added the code you provided in place of the corresponding code I listed above. This solution is actually very very close at solving the problem; however, of all the drawn lines your improvement provided several lines still attach to the the wrong ends of cells; by that, I mean, the incorrect lines attach to the far left of the H column and then to the far right of the M column. I'm trying to get all lines attached to the far right of H and the far left of M. If possible, even, have the lines draw about half a cells width away, toward the M or H columns, respectively, so as to not cover my truncated I and L columns (but if this isn't possible or worth the time, I can work with just the first solution).

Regards,

Brett

Upvote 0
With Analyse Issues in H3 and M3, my code drew a line from the right of H3 to the left of M3. Please post some sample date where it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
With Analyse Issues in H3 and M3, my code drew a line from the right of H3 to the left of M3. Please post some sample date where it doesn't work.

I don't see how to attach a file here. So, I'll just write it out.

cHr.r.cM
AU
BT
CS
DR
EQ
FO
GN
HM
IL
JK
KJ
LI
MH
NG
OF
P

<tbody>
</tbody>
Q
R
S
T
U

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm not very apt with the formatting options here, and I'm pressed for time, so. A-U in column H. U-A in column M (it makes a nice vanishing point in the center). I checked, and your macro works fine when cells are perfectly aligned across from one another, but when they are mixed as my example, some are not how I need them be.

I hope this was explanatory enough. And sorry I couldn't attach a file.

Regard

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
                    If Dn.Column = 13 Then
                       ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(Dn.Left, Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2), .Item(Dn.Value).Left + .Item(Dn.Value).Width, .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2)).Select
                    Else
                       ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(.Item(Dn.Value).Left, .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2), Dn.Left + Dn.Width, Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2)).Select
                    End If

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
                    If Dn.Column = 13 Then
                       ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(Dn.Left, Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2), .Item(Dn.Value).Left + .Item(Dn.Value).Width, .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2)).Select
                    Else
                       ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(.Item(Dn.Value).Left, .Item(Dn.Value).Top + (.Item(Dn.Value).Height / 2), Dn.Left + Dn.Width, Dn.Top + (Dn.Height / 2)).Select
                    End If

I amended my code to:

Sub MG11Jan25()
For Each Dn In Rng
.Add Dn.Value, Dn
If Dn.Column = 13 Then
Else
End If
End If
Next
End With
End Sub

I'm getting error with the Next above. The error says "Compile Error Next without For"

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
                    If Dn.Column = 13 Then
                    Else
                    End If

Looks like I was missing an "End If"

I added it:

Code:
Sub MG11Jan25()
For Each Dn In Rng
    .Add Dn.Value, Dn
        If Dn.Column = 13 Then
    Else
End If
    End If
        End If
Next
End With
End Sub

This time, the arrows are drawn straight through the width of the cells; for example, from far left of column H, a line is drawn to the far right of column H, etc. It's the same with M.

Upvote 0
This is the full code, which works for me with the sample data you posted:

Code:
Sub MG11Jan25()
        For Each Dn In Rng
                    .Add Dn.Value, Dn
                Else
                    If Dn.Column = 13 Then
                    Else
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        Next
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nic0la

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back