Dymo Label Printer using VBA

jlhoover3

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning All,

I have been using VBA to print labels for quite some time now and everything is working correctly. However, DYMO in the recent years has upgraded to new printers with a new software, and I'm having a very hard time referencing the new DYMO Software. The current software version that I use for our program is v.8.7.3 and the new version they have is DYMO Connect for Desktop Windows v1.4.5. The problem is the new label printers require the new software, and in the future I will need to replace these printers. You can see below, the code I currently use to print off our folder labels. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks for your time!

VBA Code:
    'CREATE DYMO FOLDER LABEL
    Answer = MsgBox("Would you like to create a DYMO Folder Label?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton1, "DYMO Folder Label")
    If Answer = vbYes Then
        Set myDymo = New DYMO_DLS_SDK.DymoHighLevelSDK
        Set dyAddin = myDymo.DymoAddin
        Set dyLabel = myDymo.DymoLabels

DymoPrinters() = Split(dyAddin.GetDymoPrinters, "|")
        For PrinterId = LBound(DymoPrinters) To UBound(DymoPrinters)
            PrinterName = DymoPrinters(PrinterId)
            If PrinterName = "\\CONF-ROOM-PC\DYMO LabelWriter 450" Or PrinterName = "\\CONF-ROOM-PC\DYMO LabelWriter 450" Or PrinterName = "DYMO LabelWriter 450" Then
                dyAddin.SelectPrinter DymoPrinters(PrinterId)
                dyAddin.Open "\\SBS\Shared Folders\OCI\2022 OCI Operation Programs\Databases\Dymo Labels\File Label"
                dyLabel.SetField "Text", Sheets("WIZARD").Range("OCI_JOB").Value
                dyLabel.SetField "Text_1", Sheets("WIZARD").Range("OCI_VERIFIED_NUMBER").Value
                dyLabel.SetField "Text_2", Sheets("WIZARD").Range("OCI_MARKFOR_COMPANY").Value & vbCrLf & Sheets("WIZARD").Range("OCI_MARKFOR_ADDRESS").Value & vbCrLf & Sheets("WIZARD").Range("OCI_MARKFOR_CITYSTATEZIP").Value
                dyLabel.SetField "Text_3", "OCI"
                dyAddin.Print2 1, True, 1
            End If
        Next

Set myDymo = Nothing
    End If

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
I also use Dymo printeres, but without an Add-In. If you select your dymo printer first and then hit print from VBA, you can use it like a normal printer. Works fine and you do not have to rely on dymo software. You need to select a default label in windows. Then write text in some cells which will fit on the lable (trial and error with print preview).

Upvote 1
I had a play with trying to print to my dymo printers last year and in the end I opted for creating the label in the latest dymo software and creating a csv file with headers from vba and mapping the fields to label text fields
Only reason being I had over 200 labels to print and wanted to play it safe so the extra couple of steps wasn’t an issue for me
I might revisit things tomorrow and see if I can get the new sdk working as I might change my strategy for this year and print sheets of labels and only print ad hoc labels to the dymo printers
It’s for running a large sports event where labels with barcodes are an integral part

Upvote 1
I also use Dymo printeres, but without an Add-In. If you select your dymo printer first and then hit print from VBA, you can use it like a normal printer. Works fine and you do not have to rely on dymo software. You need to select a default label in windows. Then write text in some cells which will fit on the lable (trial and error with print preview).
I honestly never thought of just using the printer without the Add-In. I thought it would be difficult to distinguish between printers as we have several in our office(s), but I see that its not terribly difficult. I just tested with the Dymo 550 Turbo and worked just fine! This is definitely a quick and easy solution, thank you! With the new features in Dymo 550 series and the Excel Add-In, I should be able to check how many labels are remaining in the roll. Some of the programs I use include printing large quantities of labels with integral set of numbers.

Upvote 0
I had a play with trying to print to my dymo printers last year and in the end I opted for creating the label in the latest dymo software and creating a csv file with headers from vba and mapping the fields to label text fields
Only reason being I had over 200 labels to print and wanted to play it safe so the extra couple of steps wasn’t an issue for me
I might revisit things tomorrow and see if I can get the new sdk working as I might change my strategy for this year and print sheets of labels and only print ad hoc labels to the dymo printers
It’s for running a large sports event where labels with barcodes are an integral part
Awesome, Jim. I look forward to seeing if you find anything within the SDK. I, too, have to print large quantities of labels for particular programs, and with the new software of DYMO, I should be able to check how many labels are remaining in the roll.

Upvote 0
Within the new desktop software you can create the label with empty data fields select the data source and decide which ones you want to print. Have a play even a simple 2 field label and a 2 column data file

Upvote 0
as an update I have drawn the same blank as yourself trying to use the dymo connect method, any references online branch off into javascript, .net packages and VB, all in all the least likely way you would want to print labels, most likely from excel or msaccess or word.
it appears nothing has changed since my efforts of last may from the dymo dinosaur, hence my reason for doing all the design in connect and using vba to produce my csv data for input into design
As I have a 450 twin turbo and a 4XL, I will use your snippet of code modified to my needs, i will need to redo my labels into retro LABELS format
I will keep looking unless another more informed person than myself steps forward

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back