Dynamic arrays in tables. Anything new?

rwleighjr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Has anyone come up with a way around the limitation of having dynamic arrays within tables?

In the attached example, I can have a dynamic array (Array 1) using SEQUENCE to mirror Table 1. But, as you’d expect, I encounter the SPILL error when I try to apply the formula to a table (Table 2). I’m seen how the implicit intersection operator can overcome spill errors but that might not translate to dynamic arrays. And I’ve tried that @ operator seven ways from Sunday without success. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays.
SPILL Problem.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
4Table 1Array 1Table 2
6DATEABDATEABDATEAB
712/10/2022506012/10/225060#SPILL!
812/5/2022253012/5/222530#SPILL!
912/1/2022151012/1/221510#SPILL!
1011/30/2022251211/30/222512#SPILL!
1111/25/202210511/25/22105#SPILL!
Trans
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F7:H11F7=INDEX(tblTrans,SEQUENCE(ROWS(tblTrans[DATE])),XMATCH($F$6:$H$6,tblTrans[#Headers]))
J7:J11J7=INDEX(tblTrans,SEQUENCE(ROWS(tblTrans[DATE])),XMATCH(F6:H6,tblTrans[#Headers]))
Dynamic array formulas.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
You cannot have dynamic spill ranges in a table. And if you limit each cell to a single value then it will be slower & less efficient, not to mention the fact that it will no longer be dynamic.
In short do not put dynamic spill formulae in a table.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks much for your reply, sir. I'm sorry to be late in sending a reply. I'm back to the forum after a number of years of being absent and my membership was tied to an old email address for which I couldn't remember the password. Couldn't figure out how to fix this so I just registered under a different login.

Yes, I knew in the past you couldn't have spilled ranges in tables. I just wondered if this had changed or there was a workaround so that I wouldn't have to rely on VBA to accomplish what I needed. Guess not.

Upvote 0
my membership was tied to an old email address for which I couldn't remember the password. Couldn't figure out how to fix this so I just registered under a different login.
The Forum Rules (#7) do not permit two user accounts. I will send you (that is the new rwleigh account) a private conversation message about this. Please check your messages at the top right of the forum next to you user name.
1671665715581.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I inadvertently set up a 2nd account in violation of rule #7. I would like to delete my previous user account as it was tied to an old email address a bunch of years ago. I no longer have that password and I can't/couldn't set up a new password for it since the forgotten password method requires I use the old email address.

So please tell me how to delete the old user account. Thank you for your patience.

Upvote 0
I was writing a reply when your message came in. Are we square now. Thank you for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back