Dynamic cell references

lb6067

I'm new to using VBA in Excel, so my apologies if I am not explaining this well.

I have created a complex spreadsheet with a number of worksheets. I have multiple instances (dozens) of cells that update each other in both directions, i.e. if data is entered in worksheet 1 cell B1, worksheet 2 cell B1 is automatically changed and same in the other direction. All of the references are currently default absolute. I need to make changes to the structure of the worksheets, i.e. add rows and columns, so the cell references will no longer be valid unless i manually change them, which will be a major effort. How can I make the references dynamic? I have read it is possible, but have yet to find a clear explanation of how it can be done. Here is an example of my code from one of my worksheets:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False

Select Case Target.Address(0, 0)
    Case "B5" 'First month visitors
        Sheets("Overview").Range("Z4") = Target
        Sheets("CFA - B2B").Range("B179") = Target
        Sheets("Investor Highlight").Range("I10") = Target
    Case "B6" '% MOM growth of visitors
        Sheets("Overview").Range("Z5") = Target
        Sheets("CFA - B2B").Range("B180") = Target
        Sheets("Investor Highlight").Range("G7") = Target
        Sheets("Investor Highlight").Range("I7") = Target
    Case "B7" '% sign up for User ID
        Sheets("Overview").Range("Z6") = Target
        Sheets("CFA - B2B").Range("B181") = Target

End Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Give each cell that you want to refer to a name (in the workbook). Then refer to the named range in the macro. For example, if you set up a named range for cell Z4 called Ref1, then in your macro replace Range("Z4") with Range("Ref1").

Upvote 0
Give each cell that you want to refer to a name (in the workbook). Then refer to the named range in the macro. For example, if you set up a named range for cell Z4 called Ref1, then in your macro replace Range("Z4") with Range("Ref1").

Thanks for the response. I tried it and it didn't work. I created names for every applicable cell and placed them in the code. Based on the code example I used above, is there anything else I would need to change? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can't see where the problem would be ... is there an actual error message, or is it just not doing what you would expect?

Upvote 0
Can't see where the problem would be ... is there an actual error message, or is it just not doing what you would expect?

Thanks Trevor_S.

There is no error with the code as I had pasted below. The cells update as they are meant to. The error comes when I replace the cell numbers with named ranges. For instance, in the example below, if I change Case "B5" to Case "firstmonth_visitors" and Sheets("Overview").Range("Z4") = Target to Sheets("Overview").Range("firstmonth_visitors_2") = Target (and all the others to match the named ranges I have created, it doesn't work. I don't get an error, there is just no updating.

Upvote 0
Try changing the Case... lines as follows:
Code:
    Case Range("firstmonth_visitors").Address 'First month visitors
That way you're comparing an address with an address, rather than an address with a range name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try changing the Case... lines as follows:
Code:
    Case Range("firstmonth_visitors").Address 'First month visitors
That way you're comparing an address with an address, rather than an address with a range name.

You are a genius!!! Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back