Dynamic Dependent Lists

TateHelms

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could assist me. I am an attorney (don't hold that against me lol), and I'm setting up an Excel spreadsheet for my small firm's data set. On Sheet1 I have a list of client Names, for example:

SHEET 1
COLUMN A
Adam
Bob
Charles
Daniel
Edward
Frank

On Sheet 2 I have a list of client Matters. I have already set up a drop-down list that allows me to choose the appropriate client Name for each Matter. Each Name can have more than one matter associated with it. However, each Matter has only one Name associated with it. For example:

SHEET 2
COLUMN A, COLUMN B
Matter 1, Name From drop down list: (Adam,Bob,Charles...)
Matter 2, Name From drop down list: (Adam,Bob,Charles...)
Matter 3, Name From drop down list: (Adam,Bob,Charles...)

In practice, Sheet 2 looks something like this:
COLUMN A, COLUMN B, COLUMN C
Speeding 65/45, Adam
Simple Assault, Bob
Personal Injury Case, Charles
Restraining Order, Adam

(In this example, there are two matters listed for Adam.)

I am now setting up trust account entries on Sheet 3. I would like to use a drop-down list to select the appropriate Name and Matter for each trust account transaction. For the sake of simplicity, let's suppose that the column headers on my trust account ledger are Date, Description, Name, Matter, and Amount. I will have to enter the Date, Description, and Amount values for each individual row of data (i.e., each individual trust account transaction). However, I would like to use a drop-down box to select the Name and Matter.

I know how to set up a drop-down box to select the Name. Is there a way to set up a dynamic drop-down box for the Matter column? In keeping with our example, if I choose "Adam" as my client, I would like a drop-down box for the Matter column that shows *only* the entries "Restraining Order" and "Speeding 65/45". If I choose "Bob" as my client, I would like a drop-down box for the Matter column that shows *only* the entry "Simple Assault".

I cannot post my actual Excel file because it contains confidential client data. (I'm actually re-working my current system to make it more user-friendly.)

THANK YOU in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gunars

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back