Dynamic (dependent) validation drop down without named ranges

Wheeler55

Hi, I need to be able to define a dependent drop down using a lookup with contents based on another column. All the posts I've searched show how to do this by defining different named ranges - eg if there are 6 values in the first column, and you want the second column to show only data from a list with the selected value, then you must define 6 named ranges and use INDIRECT. Which is a great approach but doesn't solve my problem.

I have on one tab a Product list with two columns. The first is Product Category, the second is Product Name. There are say 1000 combinations, with about 100 Product Categories. So it's not possible to define a named range for each product category.
In the main s/sheet where I want to use this data against particular assets:
Columns A-C (Say) have data about the individual asset.
Column D - is used to select the Product Category via data validation drop down (reference to a list)
Column E - I want to be able to have a data validation drop down showing all the Product Names for the given Product Category (ie dependent). ie somehow list only the Product Names for the chosen Product Category.

Is there any way not using VBA to do this given the Product list will change from time to time (so can't predefine any range except the whole list) . Hope this is clear - my first post. Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Yes it is possible but the only way I can think of used a dynamic range and the list MUST be sorted by product category. You will need to maintain a separate list of individual product categories for that dropdown.

Given the layout below the data validation formula for E4 would be =OFFSET(INDEX(B:B,MATCH(D4,A:A,0)),,,COUNTIF(A:A,D4))

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Product CategoryProduct Name
2Category 1Product 1
3Category 1Product 2Category DropdownName Dropdown
4Category 1Product 3Category 2
5Category 1Product 4
6Category 2Product 5
7Category 2Product 6
8Category 2Product 7
9Category 2Product 8
10Category 2Product 9
11Category 2Product 10
12Category 3Product 11
13Category 3Product 12
14Category 3Product 13
15Category 3Product 14
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Yep worked like a dream thanks Brian. I hadn't seen the "B:B" range notation before either so learnt that too.
Many thanks.....Ken.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back