Dynamic File - Last Saved by

Armstrong_N14

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Day, Everyone!
Hope this SOS finds you all in good health.
I can't seem to put the right syntax for the builtinproperties code to show the last author of a specific file due to the twist that the file that needs to show who saved it last is a different file from where the builtinproperties code is being written.

Example:
Checker.xlsm is the file that has a table that shows the breakdown of files with it's last saved time stamp and last author, in each file in the list, there is a corresponding cell that shows the path of the file where it it saved. I was able to show the last saved time stamp but not the last author(last saved by)

Sample code:

Funtion Lastauthor()

Lastauthor=Thisworkbook. Builtinproperties("Last Author")

End function

I'd like to put the file path on the Thisworkbook portion of the code but I can't seem to make it to work.

Please help me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Not sure I understand the the issue. You want to get the last author property value from a different workbook than where the code is located? Or it is that the last author doesn't provide the name you need from a Save As workbook? For the former, the workbook has to be open (but not visible) as far as I know:
Workbooks("workbook name here").BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")

Upvote 1
Not sure I understand the the issue. You want to get the last author property value from a different workbook than where the code is located? Or it is that the last author doesn't provide the name you need from a Save As workbook? For the former, the workbook has to be open (but not visible) as far as I know:
Workbooks("workbook name here").BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
Appreciate you taking the time to check out my problem. Hope the below help clarify the issue. I wanted to create an individual function for each file so that the file and the path can be dynamic. I intend to put the cell value in each function as the file path like Workbooks(Range("A2").value).BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author") but its not working.

(this is the Checker.xlsm file)
ABCD
1​
File PathFilesLast SavedLast Saved by
2​
C:\Documents\PTC\August 2023Attendance - August MTD.xlsm
Saturday, August 19, 2023​
3​
C:\Documents\PTC\August 2023Performance Dashboard - August.xlsm
Saturday, August 19, 2023​

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub getAuthor()
Dim twb as Workbook, wb as Workbook, sht as WorkSheet, fPath as String, fName as String, fAuth as String
Set wb = ThisWorkbook: Set sht = wb.Worksheets(1) 'You may need to change wbWorksheets(1)
Set fPath = sht.Range("A2").Value: Set fName = sht.Range("B2").Value
Set twb = Workbooks.Open(fPath & "\" & fName)
fAuth = twb.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
sht.Range("D2") = fAuth
twb.Close
End Sub

Upvote 1
VBA Code:
Sub getAuthor()
Dim twb as Workbook, wb as Workbook, sht as WorkSheet, fPath as String, fName as String, fAuth as String
Set wb = ThisWorkbook: Set sht = wb.Worksheets(1) 'You may need to change wbWorksheets(1)
Set fPath = sht.Range("A2").Value: Set fName = sht.Range("B2").Value
Set twb = Workbooks.Open(fPath & "\" & fName)
fAuth = twb.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
sht.Range("D2") = fAuth
twb.Close
End Sub
Thanks for sharing this code. I will work on this and see if I can make it to work. ppreciate the help. I hope I discovered this excel family sooner!

Attachments

• lastsavedby error.png
    lastsavedby error.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing this code. I will work on this and see if I can make it to work. ppreciate the help. I hope I discovered this excel family sooner!
Sorry, that was a typo on my part. Remove the Set keyword before fPath and fName.

Upvote 1
Sorry, that was a typo on my part. Remove the Set keyword before fPath and fName.
I feel dumber posting every error I come across, but here it is anyway. I figured with the code that the file needs to be opened every time it fetches the data needed (last saved by) I would like to know if it is possible to do away with that.

Thank you again for responding to my SOS.

Attachments

• lastsavedby error 2.png
    lastsavedby error 2.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
I feel dumber posting every error I come across, but here it is anyway. I figured with the code that the file needs to be opened every time it fetches the data needed (last saved by) I would like to know if it is possible to do away with that.

Thank you again for responding to my SOS.
What line did the debugger stop at?

Upvote 1
You have to use the Set keyword before twb as it references an Object.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back