Dynamic List created from one or two possible header values

mholland1187

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have searched through google for about five and a half hours trying to find a formula for this with no luck.

I am trying to create a dynamic list that could possibly be part of an either/or function. I have columns of all 30 NBA teams and all their rankings against each opposition position for each statistic. Basically what I would like to do is create one dynamic list that shows me all of the notes below the team name. For example, if UTA were to play WAS, I would like to have all 3 notes from the UTA column and all 3 notes from the WAS column be combined into one dynamic list of 6 on another tab. I understand I can do this by copy and paste, but I would prefer a formula if possible. I've found instruction if the columns are side by side (obviously the team names will not always be as they are alphabetical), but that would require a lot of manual cut and paste and again, I would like to eliminate as much manual work as possible. The range is 600 cells (30 columns x 20 rows) if that matters with the team abbreviations across the header row. The notes below are dynamic from another part of the spreadsheet, but will not go past 20 rows.

A couple starter ideas I had, but could not create formulas for
If the 3 left cells = UTA or WAS, then dynamic list combined
Match column title UTA and WAS, then dynamic list combined

I attached a snippet of the end of the data with the ideal output 6 lines from both teams. The header for that can be built into the formula or not, it doesn't matter.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any additional information if necessary. The hardest part I've found when searching for help or how to in excel is finding the correct terminology or not explaining myself fully so please bear with me!

Attachments

• Sports Excel.JPG
    Sports Excel.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Welcome to the Forum!

It's easier in Excel 365, or using VBA, but with formulae:

ABCDEFGH
2D
3ABCDEE
4A1B1C1D1E1D1
5A2B2C2D2D2
6A3C3D3D3
7A4C4D4D4
8D5D5
9E1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H4:H23H4=IF(INDEX(Notes,ROWS(H$4:H4),MATCH(TeamA,Teams,))="",INDEX(IF(Notes="","",Notes),ROWS(H$4:H4)-COUNTA(INDEX(Notes,,MATCH(TeamA,Teams,))),MATCH(TeamB,Teams,)),INDEX(Notes,ROWS(H$4:H4),MATCH(TeamA,Teams,)))
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
Notes=Sheet1!$B$4:$F$23H4:H23
TeamA=Sheet1!$H$2H4:H23
TeamB=Sheet1!$H$3H4:H23
Teams=Sheet1!$B$3:$F$3H4:H23

Upvote 0
Here is another possible option. Columns I & J could be hidden once you have entered the formulas.

22 02 22.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Index ColCount
2B22
3ABCDED45
4A1B1C1D1E1B1
5A2B2C2D2B2
6A3C3D3D1
7A4C4D4D2
8D5D3
9D4
10D5
All Notes
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2:I3I2=MATCH(H2,B$3:F$3,0)
J2:J3J2=COUNTA(INDEX(B$4:F$20,0,MATCH(H2,B$3:F$3,0)))
H4:H13H4=IF(ROWS(H$4:H4)>J$2,IF(ROWS(H$4:H4)>J$2+J$3,"",INDEX(B$4:F$20,ROWS(H$4:H4)-J$2,I$3)),INDEX(B$4:F$20,ROWS(H$4:H4),I$2))

Upvote 0
Solution
You're welcome. Glad we could help. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back