Dynamic list created from table if cell in column is not empty

mattadams84

Board Regular
Is it possible in excel to create a list of items from a table into a new table if there is data in a column?

For example:

In column a I have data from rows 2 to 50
In column b there is data from rows 2 to 50
In column c there is data only in some rows (random)

i want to create a new dynamic list (with the data) that contains only the items that contain data in column c.

if in the future data is added in to column c that didn't previously have any, then the new list needs to be updated automatically.

is this possible using formula?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

It depends on your version, hence the suggestion above, and also on whether the 'table' is a formal Excel table (ListObject) or simply a section of your worksheet.

However, here are a couple of possibilities. You may need something different again depending on your particular specific circumstances.

For a formal Excel table and a version with the FILTER function:

mattadams84.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
1Hdr1Hdr2Hdr3Hdr1Hdr2Hdr3
2a1xa1x
3b2c3x
4c3xd4x
5d4x
6e5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1:H4F1=FILTER(Table1[#All],Table1[[#All],[Hdr3]]<>"")
Dynamic array formulas.

For a normal range & no FILTER function:

mattadams84.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
2a1xa1x
3b2c3x
4c3xd4x
5d4x   
6e5   
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1:H6F1=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A$1:A$10)/($C$1:$C$10<>""),ROWS(F$1:F1))),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
Many thanks,

I had to go the second route, even though my data is in an 'excel' table, I don't have the filter function

Upvote 0
I don't have the filter function
All the more reason that it would be a good idea to act on the first paragraph in post #2! ;)

I had to go the second route, even though my data is in an 'excel' table,
If you wanted to adapt the formula to use the formal table structure you could also consider this.

Headers entered manually then F2 formula copied (after adjusting for your actual table name) across and down as far as you might ever need.

mattadams84.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
2a1xa1x
3b2c3x
4c3xd4x
5d4x   
6e5   
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F6F2=IFERROR(INDEX(Table13[Hdr1],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Table13[Hdr1])-ROW(Table13[#Headers]))/(Table13[[Hdr3]:[Hdr3]]<>""),ROWS(F$2:F2))),"")
G2:G6G2=IFERROR(INDEX(Table13[Hdr2],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Table13[Hdr2])-ROW(Table13[#Headers]))/(Table13[[Hdr3]:[Hdr3]]<>""),ROWS(G$2:G2))),"")
H2:H6H2=IFERROR(INDEX(Table13[Hdr3],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Table13[Hdr3])-ROW(Table13[#Headers]))/(Table13[[Hdr3]:[Hdr3]]<>""),ROWS(H$2:H2))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back