Dynamic list that excludes a value from the same row.

PatRichard

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings! I've built a dynamic drop-down using the method shown at Create Dynamic Dependent Drop Down. It works fine (see pic), and the data validation list source is set to =Data!$J$7#

I would like to update this so that the list excludes Sites['Site Name']. This would essentially build the drop-down to include sites other than itself in each row. Is this possible? What function would I use to exclude Sites['Site Name']?

Attachments

• Exclude.jpg
    Exclude.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi PatRichard,

You would have to have a separate Data Validation list for each row. It is possible, but not efficient. It would be a separate spilled range in the same row as the cell with data validation. The formula would be something like:
Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(FILTER(UNIQUE($B$10:$B$38),UNIQUE($B$10:$B$38)<>F10))
...where "$B$10:$B$38" would be the Site Name column and "F10" would be the value in that row of the Site Name column. Your data validation would then reference the first cell in that spilled range, like "=$O$10#".

It would be nice if the array functions could be used for Data Validation. I am sure there are good reasons why they cannot. I would be interested to know:unsure:

It is also very possible that others have better ways to achieve this. I would be interested to see those also.

Hope that helps,

Doug

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back