dynamic range in graph

Rip1971

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a graph in my worksheet that has a dynamic amount of items on the x-axis.

How can i make it so that the range only looks at the filled in values instead of the whole range.
Chart data range =Template!$A$14:$A$170,Template!$CI$14:$CI$170,Template!$CK$14:$CL$170,Template!$CU$14:$CU$170,Template!$CY$14:$CY$170
Axis Label range =Template!$A$15:$A$170
Series values =Template!$CH$15:$CH$170

I think that the axis label range is the master of how far the range should go. that is where we fill in the values that need to go in the graph

If more info is needed let me know
thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
There are two ways I know of. Turn your data into an Excel Table, or create Dynamic Named Ranges.

Excel Tables Option
Convert you chart data into an excel table. Use the field names on the chart range reference like: =Table1[xRng] and Table1[yRng]. What is odd after you enter these into the chart series and edit them again, it will appear that it changed them to normal ranges. Don't worry, this is an Excel issue but it will expand and contract just like you Excel table.

Dynamic Named Ranges
Create a named using a formula like this: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$3,0,0,MATCH(1E+300,Sheet1!$D:$D)-2,1). I named mine xRng and yRng. In the Chart series enter the range like this: =Sheet1!xRng and =Sheet1!yRng. The formula above will count all the numerical values in the column. If your data starts in row 2 then change the formula like this: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$2,0,0,MATCH(1E+300,Sheet1!$D:$D)-1,1)

Upvote 0
There are two ways I know of. Turn your data into an Excel Table, or create Dynamic Named Ranges.

Excel Tables Option
Convert you chart data into an excel table. Use the field names on the chart range reference like: =Table1[xRng] and Table1[yRng]. What is odd after you enter these into the chart series and edit them again, it will appear that it changed them to normal ranges. Don't worry, this is an Excel issue but it will expand and contract just like you Excel table.

Dynamic Named Ranges
Create a named using a formula like this: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$3,0,0,MATCH(1E+300,Sheet1!$D:$D)-2,1). I named mine xRng and yRng. In the Chart series enter the range like this: =Sheet1!xRng and =Sheet1!yRng. The formula above will count all the numerical values in the column. If your data starts in row 2 then change the formula like this: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$2,0,0,MATCH(1E+300,Sheet1!$D:$D)-1,1)
Jeffrey,
My knowlegde is not that great in excel learning fast thou. but somehow i cannot get those option to work.

I started from a macro and doing what I thought was what needed to happen,
the thing i thought was how can i make the range used in this small piece of code so it looks incolumn A find the last one in specific range (A6-A160) and adjust the range accordingly
the graph will then be updated after pressing button. or if maybe everytime workheet is update

VBA Code:
Sub grafiek()

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 2").Activate
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=range("Template!$A$5:$A$20,Template!$CB$5:$CG$20")

End Sub

sorry if my mind make things up

Upvote 0
Did you turn your table into a proper Excel Table or did you try to use the dynamic named range?

Upvote 0
Did you turn your table into a proper Excel Table or did you try to use the dynamic named range?
This is how my table looks.
Column BA is on the x-axis
the Y-axis is a percentage
All other columns give data which is placed in graph (see attached picture of graph)

if i hide not necessery rows the graph also hides those from the graph. which is more or less what i want.

Operation_Voortgang_Template_V5.xlsm
BABBBCBDBEBFBG
5EquipmentStop ProcedureStart ProcedureGespoeldVeiliggesteld (RLM)Operation CommissioningPRE-STARTUP
6D8200.50.50.50.5  
7D8110.750.75  
8E8221011
9 1111
10E8500000
19D811    
20D439 ( HL400 )    
21E810    
22D820    
Template
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
BA6:BA23,BA161BA6=IF(A6<>"",A6," ")
BB6:BB23,BB161BB6=IF(O6="Approved",1,IF(O6="in MOC",0.75,IF(O6="Bezig",0.5,IF(O6="N.V.T.",1,IF(O6<>"",0," ")))))
BC6:BC23,BC161BC6=IF(15="Approved",1,IF(P6="in MOC",0.75,IF(P6="Bezig",0.5,IF(P6="N.V.T.",1,IF(P6<>"",0," ")))))
BD6:BE23,BD161:BE161BD6=IF(Q6="Klaar",1,IF(Q6="Bezig",0.5,IF(Q6="N.V.T.",1,IF(Q6<>"",0," "))))
BF6BF6=IF(AA6="Klaar",1,IF(AA6="Bezig",0.5,IF(AA6="N.V.T.",1,IF(AA6<>"",0," "))))
BG6BG6=IF(AE6="Klaar",1,IF(AE6="Bezig",0.5,IF(AE6="N.V.T.",1,IF(AE6<>"",0," "))))

1610549571836.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back