E-mail Sending Loop

cwhaley1

I have written a probably fairly basic macro which calls up the new message dialogue in MS Outlook. It then populates that dialogue with data contained within a spreadsheet (see code below). It does work well, in that whichever e-mail address the user selects (which therefore makes that cell the active cell), VBA will use that cell as the “to” field and then “cc” in the value of the cell one to the right (another e-mail address). Unfortunately this has to be done for each and every person who needs to be e-mailed, often up to 40 or 50 people.

What I’d like to do (and what I’ve failed at so far) is have VBA loop through each row with values in, and enter those values into the relevant Outlook field, ending if there is an error. The only fields which will change are the “to” and “cc” fields, as the e-mail address the e-mail is sent from never changes, nor does the body or subject. In short, I’m sending a e-mail to each person in a table.

I’ve tried to do it but at best all I can get VBA to do is start an endless loop of opening the new message dialogue, with no values entered. Does anybody have any pointers?

The source table:

Enter Name HereSupervisorE-mail addressSupervisor e-mail address
Value entered here is the source of the formula on the rightName, result of INDEX formulaThis is the 'to' field (result of INDEX formula)This is the 'cc' field (result of INDEX formula)

My current code:

VBA Code:
Sub Email_Timesheet()

On Error Resume Next
    Dim OutApp As Variant
    Dim OutMail As Variant
    Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    OutApp.Session.Logon
    Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)
    On Error Resume Next
    With OutMail
        .SentOnBehalfOfName = "sharedinbox@example.com" 'this is the "from" field
        .To = Range(Selection.Address)
        .CC = Range(Selection.Address).offset(, 1) 'this enters the value in the column one to the right of the selected e-mail address
        .Subject = "Late Timesheet"
        .body = Range("J1") 'this references the cell where the body of the e-mail is written
       On Error Resume Next
         On Error GoTo 0
         .Save
        .Display
        '.send '<<<<<to send without reviewing first, remove the "'"
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0
    Set OutMail = Nothing
    Set OutApp = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Assuming the email addresses are in column C starting in row 2, try:
VBA Code:
Sub Email_Timesheet()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim OutApp As Object, OutMail As Object, email As Range
    For Each email In Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        With OutMail
            .To = email
            .CC = email.Offset(, 1) 'this enters the value in the column one to the right of the selected e-mail address
            .body = Range("J1") 'this references the cell where the body of the e-mail is written
             .Save
            .Display
        End With
    Next email
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 1
Solution
Assuming the email addresses are in column C starting in row 2, try:
VBA Code:
Sub Email_Timesheet()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim OutApp As Object, OutMail As Object, email As Range
    For Each email In Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        With OutMail
            .To = email
            .CC = email.Offset(, 1) 'this enters the value in the column one to the right of the selected e-mail address
             .Save
            .Display
        End With
    Next email
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

That does exactly what I needed it to do, thank you! I was using "C2:2" as my range which wasn't working.

One problem, however... after the macro has done what I need, it returns a 440 run-time error (object does not support this method) on the line ".To = email". I can end the macro and run it again if needed, but there will be users who will be scared by the message.

Upvote 0
Delete any formulas at the bottom of column C that do not have any Supervisor returned in column B. In other words, any formula cells at the bottom of your sheet that don't return a valid result have to be deleted.

Upvote 0
Delete any formulas at the bottom of column C that do not have any Supervisor returned in column B. In other words, any formula cells at the bottom of your sheet that don't return a valid result have to be deleted.
Thank you, that solved the problem – I added a macro to clear any cells with errors in them. After that has been ran, I’ve added another command button called “Reset Sheet” which links to a macro to remove all data from a range and then re-enter the formulae.

Thanks for your solution to this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back