Easiest way to reconfigure ActiveX controls on new MacBook?

hcparsons12

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Just got a new MacBook (used to have a ThinkPad) and I have an Excel file with ActiveX controls in it that I use quite often. I want to use it on the MacBook but, obviously, ActiveX controls don't work on MacOS. What's the easiest way to reconfigure the buttons and code to work on the Mac? Kind of tried editing it within the same workbook (saved another copy) but was having problems getting the buttons to work. I know its an easy fix, but I don't trust myself to figure it out. Any help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
You can try changing them over to form controls (see activex vs form controls), but depending on which controls were used, you may not find a direct replacement on the form control side. However, as long as you were doing only pretty basic stuff with buttons, you should be ok.

Upvote 0
You can try changing them over to form controls (see activex vs form controls), but depending on which controls were used, you may not find a direct replacement on the form control side. However, as long as you were doing only pretty basic stuff with buttons, you should be ok.
I have an ActiveX button that pulls up a UserForm. From what I am seeing, UserForms are not compatible with form controls. Is there a form control equivalent of this? Am I going to have to recode everything?

Upvote 0
I was hoping you weren't using a userform for that exact reason.
Is there a form control equivalent of this? Am I going to have to recode everything?
Not that I know of. And I am afraid so. Again, depending on what kind of processing you were doing with the userform, the logic might map somewhat closely to the individual alternative form controls, but more than likely you've got some work ahead of you.

Happy to help out if you run into anything specific in the future...

Upvote 0
I was hoping you weren't using a userform for that exact reason.

Not that I know of. And I am afraid so. Again, depending on what kind of processing you were doing with the userform, the logic might map somewhat closely to the individual alternative form controls, but more than likely you've got some work ahead of you.

Happy to help out if you run into anything specific in the future...
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I just don't know where to start. Essentially, I have a button that pulls up the form for the user to input a name from a list. Once entered, the (rather lengthy) code finds different calculations (average, percentile, conditional avg/perc) of that name's statistics compared to the overall table of data. Is there any easy way with form controls to give the user an ability to input a name into a cell (from a list) allowing the code to run?

Upvote 0
For the list, what I would do is have a cell in your worksheet where you enter the name and use the list data validation to control the input. Based on your description it sounds like most of your code should still run, but you'll likely have to add another button to actually trigger the start the analysis code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back