Elapsed work hours in spreadsheet

NancyP

Somebody help me PUH-LEESE!!! I've been searching through old posts and can't find what I need or simply don't understand the resolutions offered. (Yes, I'm a novice here!) So, here's what I need to do:

I need to calculate the time difference between two timestamps that were captured from a database. The results should be displayed in dd:hh:mm format, be based on an 8 hour workday, and exclude weekends and holidays. Here is an example of the columns being used:

Group Assign Time Exempt Date
12/1/2004 9:39 12/9/2004 12:13

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Nancy

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
How are we to know how what time is "Quitting time/starting time" for the first and last days. for example:

We can assume that for 12/2-12/8 there are 8 hours a day (less 2 days for a weekend). = 5 days * 8 hrs = 40 hours.

But for the first day, they start at 9:39 (am?) and when do they quit? Do we count a full 8 hours on this day. Or should we assume the workday is 9 - 5?

Some clarification please.

Upvote 0
You can use the function NETWORKDAYS to calculate the number of workdays between two dates. It will also automatically subtract any holidays if you add that argument to the function and have a list of those dates in a range in the workbook somewhere. You must activate the Analysis Toolpack AddIn under the Tools Menu item first to be able to find this function. If you need more help, post back here.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify:

The time stamps being used are from a service ticket tracking system. The "group assign" time is when a service ticket was assigned to a group. The "exempt date" is when the clock was stopped on that ticket for a particular reason. So in essence, I'm trying to determine how many business hours elapsed from when a service ticket was assigned to when it was marked for exemption, excluding weekends and holidays.

Work day hours are a normal 8 hour day commencing at 8 a.m. GMT and ending at 4 p.m. GMT.

Thanks for your help,
-Nancy

martinee said:
How are we to know how what time is "Quitting time/starting time" for the first and last days. for example:

We can assume that for 12/2-12/8 there are 8 hours a day (less 2 days for a weekend). = 5 days * 8 hrs = 40 hours.

But for the first day, they start at 9:39 (am?) and when do they quit? Do we count a full 8 hours on this day. Or should we assume the workday is 9 - 5?

Some clarification please.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back