Eliminate excel table format when pasting to Word

skyport

I have data in multiple cells in one column (K). I need to copy and paste those cells onto a Word document. The problem I'm having is when I do that it appears that each cell that is being pasted onto word is within its own table and I'm assuming that the entire column of cells I'm pasting is a table itself. I need to be able to accomplish two things: First, how can I was eliminate the table formatting when it is pasted onto word and then secondly, make sure the existing formatting of the text that was within the cells does not change.

Example: The data in each cell might contain words that are underlined and some that are in bold etc. if I do a special paste of the Excel cells onto word, it will eliminate the table formatting however, it also eliminates the underlining, words that are in bold and other important features of the text within the cells that need to be retained.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Need to use this on windows seven and word/excel 2000, PC not Mac.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
If your data you want to copy in a Table on the spreadsheet, you can select the cells in the table and copy.
in a blank sheet do a paste special > values then do another paste special > format.

Now select the range that you did the paste special and copy. then go to word and paste. the data should be in a single table (not a nested table) with the formating shown in excel.

Upvote 0
Hi Bruce, thanks fir helping me. I followed the instructions but it still leaves the text result on Word formatted in tables and it loses the bolded text.

Upvote 0
Also I do not believe the data in excel is in a specific table. I simply observe it seems to lay it out in table for mat on word when pasted

Upvote 0
Ok, so it's not in an Excel table, just regular columns/rows.
So when you paste into Word you want each cells values to be consecutive text strings while also maintaining the text formating it had in Excel?

Excel
__A____B_____C___
| Cat | Dog | Mouse
------|-------|---------
|Cow | Now | Wow
------------------------

Word
Cat Dog Mouse
Cow Now Wow

This may show better with code tags.
Code:
[B]Excel[/B]
___A_____B_______C___
| [B]Cat[/B] | Dog  | [COLOR=#B22222][B]Mouse[/B][/COLOR]
------|------|-------
| [COLOR=#00FF00]Cow [/COLOR]| [I]Now  [/I]| [U]Wow[/U]
---------------------

[B]Word[/B]
[B]Cat[/B] Dog [COLOR=#b22222][B]Mouse[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#00ff00]Cow [/COLOR][I]Now [/I][U]Wow
[/U]

Upvote 0
You are correct and your example above is well illustrated. As you have shown, the end result would retain things such as different font colors, underlined items, italics and bold.

The key issue is to eliminate the other Excel formatting that appears to paste the data into tables formatting onto word by virtue of the fact that they are coming from individual cells from the Excel program. This plays absolute havoc when trying to work with data once it has been pasted onto the word document. The effect of this can be seen when a column of cells from Excel are pasted onto word using paste special, using the rich text format selection and all the borders of the table show up around the different cells of information indicating some form of formatting coming from Excel and ending up on the word document. It is precisely that formatting I need to be able to try to eliminate to make this work. However, when you look at the document after trying it with the paste special as I just described, you'll note that some of that formatting is originally while working in Excel to allow for a very important function that occurred on the Excel document and that being the distance of one cell spacing between the actual cells that contain the data, which is supposed to create that gap or space between paragraphs or cells of the data when it is later pasted on the word document. Example: On the original Excel sheet and column to be copied, you would have data in cell one, then cell two would be blank (thereby creating the space desired) followed by cell number three which of course would have data, and this process would be continued throughout the column.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Macropod Answer +1

1. Select the table.

In Word 2003 and earlier:
Table > Convert > Table to Text Then follow the next prompts for how to separate the text in each cell.

In Word 2007, on the contex layout tool Table Tools > Layout tab in the Data group (far right), click Convert to Text

I can't confirm if later versions are the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back