Eliminate Outliers

yxz152830

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Gurus,
I have a set of data with a portion of them with ID having more than 1 occurrences. 2nd column is value. I want to get rid of the outliers by comparing the values for IDs appearing more than 2 times. Could someone give me any suggestions? Thanks!

Criteria 1: Any values with same ID that are less than 20% different from each other(always smaller value divided by bigger value) can be grouped together to form the majority group. For example, for all values associated with C, 110/112/111 are not outliers but if there is value 88 it will be considered outlier because 88/110 = 80%, 88/112 <80%.
Criteria 2: The majority group just need to have 1 more value than minority like ID "D"
Criteria 3: if there are no majority group and the values are significantly different than others, ID will be flagged.

A
10​
B
120​
no majority group ID is flagged
B
1​
no majority group ID is flagged
C
110​
C
112​
C
111​
C
10​
outlier
C
20​
outlier
D
50​
D
51​
D
10​
outlier
E
10​
No majority group, ID is flagged
E
20​
E
30​
F
20​
F
21​
F
1​
F
1.1​
G
21​
G
20​
G
5​
G
1​

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
why aren't the first two of E considered outliers, as they are 33 and 66%, which are less than 80% of 30?

I guess I don't understand what your definition of a majority group is. please explain what a majority group is in your context?

Upvote 0
why aren't the first two of E considered outliers, as they are 33 and 66%, which are less than 80% of 30?

I guess I don't understand what your definition of a majority group is. please explain what a majority group is in your context?
Hi there are 3 'E's in the data set which are significantly different in values. There's no majority group 1:1:1 hence no outlier, this ID "E" should have been flagged for further investigation.

Upvote 0

a majority group in my definition for now is a group of values with same ID, less than 20% different from each other within the group, by count 1+ more than any other minor group for the same ID.
For example if Z has 11 values, 6 of them being 20, 5 of them being 10, the group with 6 values would be the majority.

Upvote 0

The end goal is:
eliminate the outliers and flag the IDs with no majority group to apply the rule.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back