email mail merge questions

sitewolf

Ok, I've done mail merges for print...usually connecting a list of names and addresses in an Excel spread to a Word doc. Cake.

I haven't done much with personalizing form letters using merge fields, but I know how it's done.

What I haven't done is what I'd like to do now- create personalized emails to send out.
The simple version of doing exactly the same here as for a printed form letter except emailing it (and pulling email addy from the same spread) I can do.

My initial questions, tho, are:
1.) How does my process change if I want to also be able to personalize the subject line?
2.) In testing a Word doc form email pulling data from an Excel spread, it emails properly via Outlook....but why would it not include my default signature?

...or maybe someone can just point me to a vbscript to do this with just Excel and Outlook

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
apparently I don't write enticing subject lines or ask enticing questions, because this is like the 5th time in a row my question has gone w/o a response :(

Upvote 0
I've had this issue myself and the following process works pretty well. However, I would suggest trying it out a couple of times on a trial basis as it is a little complex and when I was just learning I ended up sending some emails without the correct attachments.

Merging With Attachments

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, that may come in handy for other situations, but unless I'm missing something, that isn't quite getting me where I want to go in this one.

I was hoping someone could tell me how I might, in effect or directly, put a merge field into subject lines of emails. It isn't what I'm doing, but for example if I wanted put their first name in the subject (i.e. Look at this, Shawn) I don't know how.
The 2nd issue being- my Outlook, by default, includes a signature in any sent email. Using a Word doc for the form and Excel for data in a simple merge doesn't include the signature. Maybe I'd just have to put the signature in the form, I don't know.

Upvote 0
You can personalize any part of an email, just as you would a letter, with information from a column of Excel.

Look at this, <Shawn>
Look at this, <Fred> etc. Would just mean you choose <First Name> to insert into the email. Just click on "More Items" in the Mail Merge Wizard and you can choose information from any column to be inserted at any point.

Second question - you will need to put in the signature you want to use. I don't believe Mail Merge will add that.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that may come in handy for other situations, but unless I'm missing something, that isn't quite getting me where I want to go in this one.

I was hoping someone could tell me how I might, in effect or directly, put a merge field into subject lines of emails. It isn't what I'm doing, but for example if I wanted put their first name in the subject (i.e. Look at this, Shawn) I don't know how.
The 2nd issue being- my Outlook, by default, includes a signature in any sent email. Using a Word doc for the form and Excel for data in a simple merge doesn't include the signature. Maybe I'd just have to put the signature in the form, I don't know.

My bad here. I was looking through my collection of useful links and I must've gotten a bit mixed up. The link I was trying to get is below and has some code that lets you insert a personalized merge field into the Subject line.

Mail Merge Subject Line

Normally, I would just paste the signature I wanted into the Word merge document.

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0
Can you help me - I'm trying to merge word doc with excel worksheet - which i can do. Instead of putting in the row number to get the correct merge file - I want to use my file number which is in column A - it is being done already on some of the files - but I can't figure out how.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back