Entering multiple values to ODBC sql WHERE clause as a single parameter

dbig

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that pulls data from several oracle tables (same database) based on a common key value or values. Using the Query wizard, I build the core query ... "select * from Table1 where KEYVAL = 'C1234'". Next, I go into Data/Properties, then Connection Properties and convert the query to be parameter driven ... "select * from Table1 where KEYVAL = ?". Now, when I first run the modified query, excel asks me to locate the cell containing the KEYVAL value, e.g. A1. I can also check a box to have it always look in A1 for that parameter value.

My use case is that I want to run the retrieval query on multiple values at once. I can use the "in" operator, e.g. "select * from Table1 where KEYVAL in (?,?,?,?,?)" and supply a different cell for each "?" parameter (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5) and then check each Refresh checkbox, but I could have anywhere from 5 to 30+ parameters for any given refresh. Further, the same KEYVALs are used in an in-line subquery as well.

What I really want is to somehow feed the query via an excel Named Range, something like ...
"select * from Table1 where KEYVAL in (?)" or "select * from Table1 where instr(?, KEYVAL) >0" where the ? is fed the Named Range or a concatenated list of comma separated values.

I've tried both of these constructs without success. Each seems to accept the approach, but neither returns any data.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi Dbig,
I've been testing a bit and found a working Instr version here: Passing Multiple Values to One Parameter – Bacon Bits
I've tested it on an Excel->Access link and it works like a charm, I have one parameter field with all my elements, just a space between them and they all get fetched nicely.
If that doesn't work, please post your SQL, maybe there's some other hiccup there.
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0
Hi Dbig,
I've been testing a bit and found a working Instr version here: Passing Multiple Values to One Parameter – Bacon Bits
I've tested it on an Excel->Access link and it works like a charm, I have one parameter field with all my elements, just a space between them and they all get fetched nicely.
If that doesn't work, please post your SQL, maybe there's some other hiccup there.
Cheers,
Koen

Thanks Koen, That worked like a charm. What I learned was that the Named Range approach wouldn't work because still it contained multiple cells (... where the Parameter mechanics are expecting only a single cell). However, by concatenating the multiple inputs into a single string, that satisfies the single cell constraint. Now, using the "where instr( ?, p.PER_ID_NO ) >0" construct in the core query as well as all sub-queries works beautifully. The first time through, each instance of the where clause (in my case, four) will generate its own prompt which I point to the same cell and set to Refresh on Change. Viola! Now, I can drive the process for anywhere from one to ~fifty values, more than enough to cover my needs.

Secondarily, I want to complement you on your final caution ... to help, but not do the job. It's a point well made ... been there & had to deal with it.
Thanks, again.
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a way to do this as a NOT IN clause? I tried using the same method, but changing the statement to <1, but that didn't seem to work. Unless my parameter string that's entered in the cell is possibly incorrect?

Upvote 0
Hi Delfinus25,
did you solve your issue? If not, could you please add some more details of the values in e.g. your cells/SQL? My guess is that it should work with any SQL clause, so a wrong string is my first suspect.
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back