Error: Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet

Davidns

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I keep getting this pop up error while working in one of my spreadsheets. I have eliminated all named ranges, and checked all cells but cannot find any problems. Is there a way to get Excel to provide specifics about the problems it is referring to? For example, determining if a cell refers to a sheet that doesn't exist? I realize that can be done cell by cell, but that is quite painful, and as I mentioned, I have visually checked every cell to verify that the formulas appear ok.
I am using Excel for Mac, v16.84

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Probably the best way would be to upload the workbook to a hosting site, Dropbox for instance, and then post a link to it back here so posters can take a look at the formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you. So there is no way to get Excel to provide details (on either Mac or a PC)?

Upvote 0
I assume that you have clicked the icon the arrow points to in the image below

1714346216881.png

Upvote 0
I suspect you have already run through this since you mentioned Name Manager but just in case you haven't seen it and it is of use:-

The Error Checking function does seem to require you to go sheet by sheet but if there are errors hitting next will cycle you through each error on that sheet.

Upvote 0
I ran the Error Checking and it came back with "The error check is complete for the entire sheet" and doesn't show any errors. So, its a bit frustrating, especially since the Excel Found a Problem box keeps popping up every minute or so. And, again, all results seem fine.

Upvote 0
If you are working in a larger organisation that uses the Enterprise version of Excel, you should have access to the ".COM" Add-In "Inquire".
It started life as Auditing software before it was bought by Microsoft.

Ref: Excel – Analysing Your Workbooks with the Inquire Add-In
Quote from there:
"OK, you may not necessarily be interested in how many cells contain formulas etc. but there is some useful information in here such as external references, cells containing errors etc. As you click on each element, you will see exactly which cells on which sheet meet those criteria."

Upvote 0
Thanks, but working as an individual and thus not using the required version of Excel. It just seems like an Excel bug to me given that any error would result in wrong outcomes and yet I have verified all the results using another program.

Upvote 0
Have you looked outside the used range of cells ?
Do a CTRL + End and see where the last "used" cell is.
There may be something popping up further down each worksheet, that isn't affect the current dataset.

Upvote 0
Yep, tried that too. One point I forgot to mention is that the spreadsheet was formerly one tab in a much larger spreadsheet of multiple tabs. I simply cut and pasted the one tab into a new spreadsheet and eliminated all external references and named ranges. Having reviewed every cell, I am confident there are no external references remaining, but Excel seems to think otherwise. And, again, all results are accurate.
Is there a way to turn off the error notification? Might be a good temporary solution since it pops up every few seconds and makes working on the spreadsheet nearly impossible.
Thanks to everyone trying to help me get past this annoying issue. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back