Error when adding a measure to a pivot table

starrfire

I am trying to create a median measure on a particular column in my excel pivot table. I have done so successfully for one column but am unable to do so for another column. I get the following message:
"The measure formula is invalid and contains errors".

When I set up the pivot I made sure to tick "add this data to the data model ". Then I right click in the pivot fields to add the measure. The measure is just a simple =median([columnname]). As I say it worked for one column but not another.

I have checked that the column format is numbers. I have deleted the first measure to see if I can create the new measure only but it doesnt like that either. Initially I had no data in the columns as it hasnt been added yet, but I have added dummy data for now to see if that helps. No! Has anyone got any bright ideas.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
It sounds like you are misspelling the column name. Try adding a simple SUM measure the same way, and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back