Error with if formulas to split shifts based on time

mshah123

Hello,

I am working on a project where I need to split hours between departments. So for example if a shift was done from 7am to 7pm it would be coded to the department in Department 1 (column A). If it was worked from 7pm to 7am it would be coded to the department in Department 2 (column B). If there was an overlap then I want it to say "Split".

Normally I am quite good with If statements but I can't get this one to work. I'm not able to attach a sample of my document but I can describe the layout:

Shift Day</SPAN>
Day
Start</SPAN>
Day Finish</SPAN>
Department
0700-1900</SPAN>
0700</SPAN>
1900</SPAN>
A</SPAN>
1000-2200</SPAN>
1000</SPAN>
2200</SPAN>
Split</SPAN>
0800-2000</SPAN>
0800</SPAN>
2000</SPAN>
Split</SPAN>
0700-1900</SPAN>
0700</SPAN>
1900</SPAN>
A</SPAN>
1500-0300</SPAN>
1500</SPAN>
0300</SPAN>
B</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

As you can see the first four rows of data are correct. But I keep getting errors with ones similar to the last one, which should show as "Split".

My formula at the moment is:
=IF(AND(K2>="0700",L2<="1900",K2<"1900",L2>"0700",L2<>"0000"),H2,IF(OR(AND(K2>="1900",L2<="0700"),AND(K2>="1900",L2<="2400"),AND(K2>="1900",L2="0000"),AND(K2>"0000",L2<"0700")),I2,IF(OR(AND(K2<"0700",L2>"0700"),AND(L2>"1900",K2>"0700"),AND(K2<"1900",L2>="0000",L2<"0700")),"Split","")))

Where K is the "Day Start" column, L is the "Day Finish" column", column H is the department for the early shift and column I is the department for the night shift.

if anyone could help with this or tell me where I am going wrong then I would be really grateful. Also, I realise the formula is quite complex so if there's a simpler method of doing it that would be great.

Thanks,

Miran

</SPAN>
</SPAN>
</SPAN>
</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for your help. It's definitely a simpler formula and it works on most of them, but there is just one issue...

If for example a shift started at 7am and finished at 9am that should still be "Department 1" as it falls between 7am and 7pm. Similarly, if a shift started at 9pm and finished at 4am that should still be "Department 2" as it falls between 7pm and 7am. But at the moment these are showing as "Split". Do you know if there is any way around this?

Thanks again,

Miran

Upvote 0
Hi Miran,

Sorry I've only just got the chance to have another look at this.

I've though of another solution although it's not as elegant as using an IF formula. I though that because there are so many variables I'd try a different approach using a lookup function.

I am assuming that shifts start on the hour or get rounded to the hour for accounting purposes, otherwise the lookup data would need to be reworked - a long process but not too difficult.

Let me know what you think :)

Free File Hosting, Free Video Hosting, Online File Hosting. Large Files and Images up to 5GB - YourFileLink.com

Best wishes,

Ben

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back