Errors were detected while saving (file path & file name). Microsoft Excel may be...

sspatriots

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
A user in my department received the subject message today while trying to save one of my files. This file has hardly any code in it. I played around with it a bit and figured out that even if I just opened the file myself and tried to save it without any changes the same error would appear. I got around it by saving the file under another name in the same folder and then overwriting the original file that would not let me save with this renamed file. My fear is that this is just a band-aid and it will probably happen again. Anyone else ever come across this and if so, could you share what you had to do to fix the problem permanently?

Errors were detected while saving.jpg

Thanks, SS

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
A user in my department received the subject message today while trying to save one of my files. This file has hardly any code in it. I played around with it a bit and figured out that even if I just opened the file myself and tried to save it without any changes the same error would appear. I got around it by saving the file under another name in the same folder and then overwriting the original file that would not let me save with this renamed file. My fear is that this is just a band-aid and it will probably happen again. Anyone else ever come across this and if so, could you share what you had to do to fix the problem permanently?

View attachment 104258

Thanks, SS
I would first rule out any corruption with either the following and/or malware:
  • Anti-Virus - Update > Run a Full System Scan
  • RAM - Run a memory scanner
  • SSD/HDD - Run check disk utility in Windows
  • Operating System - Run System File Checker in Windows
  • Office Application - Run Repair; if issue returns, reinstall Office; uninstall, restart, install.
I had a similar issue recently forcing me to reimage my laptop. Although my system came up clean for all of the above, I caught wind of the thorium browser having malware like symptoms. It turns out I was testing that browser based on Chris Titus (YouTuber), so I decided to check my excel file in a Windows VM; no issues.

After the reimage... everything seems to be fine... so far. No more thorium either. I'm confident that was the source of my problem. Yours may be different.

Keep a backup each day of a known working - non-corrupt copy on external storage for the time being. If using Cloud Storage, you have the added benefit of restoring a previous version.

I have a Synology NAS that takes hourly snapshots of all of my working files. When I started opening them up one by one, they too were corrupt. I finally tested the file in a Virtual Machine... no issues. That's when I fired up my Windows Deployment Server and reimaged my laptop. I lost my Personal Macros Workbook, but not much was in there; another lesson learned and updated notes in my Backup Strategy list.

Best of luck...

Upvote 0
To ensure I had the latest data entry in the file I ended up starting a new file and copying all of the data over to it and starting over. I used the code from a previous version to put into that file. So far it is working ok without incident. Thank you for the advice. I like the fact that I can constantly come back to my previous post for a lot of good information when something goes wrong or I have an issue trying to sort out some code and it has been answered right here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back