Estimating Sales Information (Macro/Array)?

edaniel

I am working on a spreadsheet to determine when an item will be sold by, based on historical sales data. With access to sales history I am able to find how many units are sold on average per month and I want to be able to take this average sales information to project when individual lots of items will be sold.

For instance, we might receive a shipment of light bulbs on January 1st, March 15th & May 3rd. The goal is to estimate, based on the average monthly sales, when all of the light bulbs received on Jan. 1 will be completely sold by. Then when the March shipment will be depleted, then the May shipment. We are selling these items in order of when they arrived, so the March 15th shipment will not be put on the stock shelf until all of the January 1st bulbs are gone.

We have many items so we will be able to utilize part numbers which can roll down the forecasted sell through.
Since this is so dynamic I believe this will have to incorporate some sort of macro and/or array to facilitate rolling the forecast into the items.
Below is an example of how I would like to calculate column D, based on another tab calculating the average sales of a given item.

Today is 10/11/2016

On average 50 light bulbs are sold each month
Part #
LOT Received Date
# of items on hand
=f(x) Est. Sold by Date
Light bulbs LOT 1
1/1/2016
11/11/2016
Light bulbs LOT 2
3/15/2016
12/26/2016
Light bulbs LOT 3
5/3/2016
2/24/2017

<tbody>
</tbody>

Note how on within the equation, it would need to be estimated based on sales, that LOT #2 could not start having sales happen until LOT #1 is completely sold.

This one has me stumped on how to make this work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back