Evaluate if a date/time falls between Start Date & End D

Don Click

My application is to outages of an application in 15 minute intervals. When an outage occurs, we record the Start time and when it's resolved, that's the End Time. I need to look at each outage and determine which 15 minute interval it fell within. At the end of the day, I'll total the number of 15 minute intervals that have at least 1 entry where the Start End Time overlapped. I then can count how many 15 minute windows had an outage times 15 minutes and that will give the number number of minutes of outages for that given day/week. There can be multiple outages occuring at the same time, so I don't want to double count, I only need to know that there was an outage in that 15 minute window.

I have 2 columns, one for Start Date/Time (1/30/2006 7:00:00 AM) and one for End Date/Time (1/30/2006 7:20:00 AM). I'm allowing for 100 different entries of start/end times that may range from 10 minutes to several hours. I have another column (I'll call Window) that has the same format of dates/times from 1/30/2006 7:00:00 AM through 1/30/2006 18:00:00 PM in 15 minute intervals. I need to evalute if there is an entry in the Start and End times that falls within each 15 minute interval. In this example, the Start time of 7:00 and End Time of 7:20 will fall inside the 7:00 window and the 7:15 window. The purpose is to count how many Windows fall within a Start/End time.

I've tried a number of examples found on the website, SUMPRODUCT being one of them, but none returned what I expected. For example, I had 2 identical entries 7:00 to 7:10, but it only counted 1 of them.

Thanks for the help....

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpm23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back