Excel 2007 // Button with Macro Assigned to It

Eli Kent

Introduction/Explanation: Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my issue. I hope I'll have better luck with this question than I did the other, but my issue is this:

I know of two different ways to make a button in Excel. One of them involves simply going to Design/Developer section and inserting a button.

The other is inserting a shape and then assigning that shape a macro. I prefer the second because I can make my buttons look interesting other than that simple grey block with black text, BUT I have discovered a problem with this method that is more of an annoyance than something truly problematic.

The Problem: When I use the first method to create a button, when my cursor is over that button, it switches to the hand and stays that way until I am no longer hovering over the button, but when I use the second method, my cursor will "flicker" nonstop between a normal cursor and the hand that indicates something is clickable and that bothers me to no end.

I've tried to ignore it, but I can't and I like my spreadsheets to be "clean" meaning I prefer they lack little issues like that... is there anyway to fix this and if so how do I do it?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi Eli,

Have you changed your cursor from the default setting?

Doing some testing, I don't experience the flickering that you describe with the default cursor, but I get that flickering after changing to xlIBeam.

Try resetting to the default with ....

Code:
Application.Cursor = xlDefault

...I prefer the second because I can make my buttons look interesting other than that simple grey block with black text...

If you use ActiveX control buttons, you'll have more options for the appearance than with Form controls (although less color choices than shapes).

Upvote 0
Hello Jerry,

First off, a VERY big thank you for attempting to help me with this problem. Unfortunately, I have never changed my cursor and never knew it was even possible.

Despite this fact, I still tried to use the code you presented anyway, and my cursor still flickers over my buttons.

I could be wrong (and or maybe you already accounted for this) but your signature gives me the impression that you use Excel 2010. Me, I am on Excel 2007 and that may be the difference.

Thanks again though for taking the time to answer me.

-Eli

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back