Excel 2013 64 bit: missing Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control

Harry Flashman

I am working my way through the exercises in a book called Excel 2010 Programming by Example with VBA, XML and ASP.

I am at chapter 19: Creating Custom forms

The first exercise is too create a user form with the ActiveX Date and Time Picker Control.
This control has to be added to the control toolbox from the Additional Control menu - specifically the Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control 6.0. There are many check boxes for additional controls, but this particular control is not listed.

Apparently a file MSCOMCT2.OCX needs to be registered. I found this file in the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64and registered using the instructions I found at this site:

Access 2010 Datepicker control missing

These were the instructions:
Go to Start\All Programs\Accessories.
* Right-click Command Prompt and then click on Run As Administrator.
* Change directory to the folder where you extracted the files. For example, type the following and then press Enter: cd c:\windows\system32
* Type the following and then press Enter: regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx
* You should get a message saying this succeeded.

I now have this file in box the Windows\System32 folder and the Windows\SysWOW64 and I have registered both, but it still does not show up as an additional control that I can select.

As I mentioned Windows\SysWOW64 already had this file so I downloaded another file from a link suggested in the book:
http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomct2.cab
... and then installed that in Windows\System32.

I also have Excel 2010 64 bit installed on my computer but that does not have the Microsoft Date and Time Picker either.

Has anyone else been through this process and know what to do? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
That control (and pretty much any non-standard ones) is not available for 64 bit Office. It's one of the reasons Microsoft doesn't recommend 64bit Office unless you have a real need to work with very large files.

Upvote 0
That control (and pretty much any non-standard ones) is not available for 64 bit Office. It's one of the reasons Microsoft doesn't recommend 64bit Office unless you have a real need to work with very large files.

Alas I do work with large files.
Thanks for replying RoryA. I was starting to think that might be the case. Okay I'll give up on the ActiveX Date and Time Picker and move on to another exercise. The 64 bit versions of Excel have around for quite a while now, it surprises me that Microsoft hasn't fixed this by now (this and other issues that one occasionally encounters with 64 bit Excel).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back