Excel 2013 Application.ScreenUpdating Not working

dgardineer

I'm seeing a lot of posts about issues with Excel 2013 repainting the screen after running a macro but I have not seen a clear resolution to what I have been experiencing. I have an existing workbook (which worked perfectly fine in 2010) and in the main sheet of the workbook there is an index of existing sheets for the user to select. When the user selects the sheet (Using a Radio Button) a procedure is run that selects the sheet and activates it. Now when the procedure runs I set Application.ScreenUpdating = False, then some code runs which sets up the sheet and activates it. The last statement of the procedure sets Application.ScreenUpdating = true. Now the activated sheet is not displayed. The main sheet is still displayed (Partially). If I switch from Excel to say Outlook and then return to Excel the selected sheet is repainted correctly. Now after some investigating I realized that Excel was not done activating the sheet so if I wait long enough the sheet might display. Now if I remove the ScreenUpdating statements from the code then the sheet is displayed correctly and usually in a short period of time. So from my viewpoint ScreenUpdating is not working correctly. This is an issue because when activating some sheets, I am doing things in the background that have been "Hidden" to this point but with screenupdating all ways "on" the user will see everything. I have tried moving the code to another procedure and doing
ScreenUpdating = False
Call Routine
ScreenUpdating = True
This has not worked. I tried adding Doevents after the screenupdating statements and that has not worked either.
My Office and anti-virus software are current, I disabled all add-ins, I ran OffCat, I disabled all animation. Still not able to use ScreenUpdating. My default printer does not effect this (I tried the Document Writer and there was no difference). Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution? Thanks

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Somewhere I seem to recall reading that changing modules, turns off application.screenupdating = false (I don't know where or when or even if it was conjucture), since then though instead of

ScreenUpdating = False
Call Routine
ScreenUpdating = True

I would do

Code:
 Call Routine

Code:
Sub Routine
ScreenUpdating = False

Do Events
 ScreenUpdating = True

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gunars

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back