excel add st nd rd th to number

proctk

I want to and st nd rd th to all the values found in a column, what's the easiest way without using a macro. I can easily add a hidden column

If you just want 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. then you can take the TEXT function off the end, just use this part

=IF(A2="","",DAY(A2)&LOOKUP(DAY(A2),{1,2,3,4,21,22,23,24,31;"st","nd","rd","th","st","nd","rd","th","st"}))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi

I also want to be able to do this but I don't understand what you are supposed to do with the code? I had hoped to be able to just format the date to show th st rd but that doesn't seem possible :( Any help appreciated

Hello HJay, welcome to MrExcel

It's not possible to do with formatting. All the suggestions here assume you have a date in one cell and put the formula in an adjacent cell to show that date in the required format
If you're using Excel 2007 or later you can create custom ordinal formats.

See this:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3039756&postcount=15

Upvote 0
Brill I have it working now :) I thought I was going to have to type a years worth of dates out by hand!

Upvote 0
wooooaahhh That thread is way way beyond me I am afraid, really don't understand why in cell formatting you can't just click on an option for 'th'
Well, you'd have to ask the folks at Microsoft why there isn't a built-in format to do that.

Seems like a fairly common thing that people would want to do so it should be a built-in feature.

dunno.gif

Upvote 0
Hi

I also want to be able to do this but I don't understand what you are supposed to do with the code? I had hoped to be able to just format the date to show th st rd but that doesn't seem possible :( Any help appreciated

Could I suggest it is not good grammar to use st, nd, rd etc when writing dates unless you are writing the date within a sentence. eg Christmas day is on the 25th of December. Note the "of".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back