Excel Assignment

pgjons

Hello,

I have an excel assignment and i am wondering if someone could help me out.

Here is my task:

In Column A there are long URLs with keys and values.

For example: http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/activecom.tan/running/content;tile=1;channel=running;subchannel=nosubchannel;tanproduct=activecom;b2borb2c=b2c;feature=content;subfeature1=channel_home;subfeature2=nosubfeature2;subfeature3=nosubfeature3;sz=728x90;position=leader_top;dcopt=ist;eventid=;eventlisting=;country=;state=;typeid=;gender=ng;age=;skill=;traveler=n;demo_a=;estate=;etype=;esubtype=;ezip=;assetid=4e2fe191-1d0d-4b90-9d6d-8dc9b1c03717;dest_dma=;view=running;ord=845674?

This URL has many keys and values one of which would be channel = running (see bold above)

My task is to create a formula that extracts certain keys and values in each URL. Please note that some of the keys and values will be different for other URLs.

ChannelSubchannelFeaturesz
http://ad.doubleclick.net....etc

<tbody>
</tbody>

So looking at the above table, I would need to come up with a formula in B2 that will provide the Key(Channel) and the Value(running) for the corresponding URL.

Also, the best solution will allow me to change the key in B1(Channel) to any other key and it should dynamically populate the values in the below rows.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
People generally don't provide complete solutions for homework assignments. However here is some direction. Mid will extract a portion of a string. It needs a start and a length. If you can FIND the start of the string and FIND the end you can get the length.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I did have another question...what is the best route to dynamically populate values depending on which "key" or name is inserted?

Upvote 0
Have the formula refer to a cell containing the key rather than hard coding the key

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back