Excel auto-formats cells when cut & pasting

JasonNH

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have one file which behaves strangely. When I cut an area and paste it elsewhere, the orginal area, or just a part of it, is formatted. Normally cells are not formatted after a Cut and paste. Tried to look everywhere for a setting to turn this off with no luck.

I know I could use Paste special with shortcuts as a workaround but would be very happy to know why this file does this. In addition cleaning those formatted cells gets a bit old.

Thanks for your answers :)

1657095038620.png

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi, welcome to the forums.
You may have conditional formatting on the cells, and formatting where cells are blank or less than a certain value.

To check, click on any of the coloured cells, click Home -> Conditional Formatting -> Manage rules.

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forums.
You may have conditional formatting on the cells, and formatting where cells are blank or less than a certain value.

To check, click on any of the coloured cells, click Home -> Conditional Formatting -> Manage rules.
Hi, Thanks for your reply :)

There is no conditional formatting on these cells. I knew that already and double checked.

Upvote 0
What happens if you delete those rows?

Select rows 177:186, right-click, Delete Row. Then, try cutting the range with the numbers and paste it somewhere else again, do the 'original' area still gets some formatting?

Upvote 0
Cutting a range in Excel will copy/move BOTH the values AND the formatting of that range (but just of the cut range).

Upvote 0
There's no conditional formatting. I checked it one more time.

Upvote 0
There's no conditional formatting. I checked it one more time.
It doesn't matter if the formatting is Conditional Formatting, or manual formatting, anytime you cut and paste a range, ALL the formatting moves along with the data.

Upvote 0
What happens if you delete those rows?

Select rows 177:186, right-click, Delete Row. Then, try cutting the range with the numbers and paste it somewhere else again, do the 'original' area still gets some formatting?
If I understood correctly you meant to start this test from the state in lower picture, where rows 177:186 are auto formatted and cutted data is on rows 191:200.

I tried this and they still get the same formatting.

Upvote 0
Cutting a range in Excel will copy/move BOTH the values AND the formatting of that range (but just of the cut range).
Yes. This is true and common knowledge. My problem is that the area where cells are cutted from is auto-formatted with some crappy formations. Normally it is left unformatted. This causes extra work because I have to clean that area.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if the formatting is Conditional Formatting, or manual formatting, anytime you cut and paste a range, ALL the formatting moves along with the data.
Yes I know. Did you read the question? Problem is that the area where cutted from gets formatted, in normal operation Excel leaves it unformatted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back