Excel Chess

Hello,

i was just wondering if any one had put together a good chess game using excel.

im currently just using a shared workbook with letters that represent the pieces and lowecase vs uppercase letters as teams. its crude but works fairly well.

thanks,

christian.

I know this post is 2+ years late, but I've been working on an Excel chess workbook (http://jollierme.com/Chess.html). It's not terribly attractive, but it has all of the logic for human and computer players (meaning that it does not allow illegal moves). The computer can currently only play a random move. My next step will be to add AI. As Oorang mentioned, VBA's lack of speed may cause the AI to be too slow to be any good, but I intend to find out!.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I may not be smart enough to get Excel to actually play Chess, but if there are guys that can, this forum has it.

And if someone can teach a spam filter to play chess someone has to be able to make it work.

This article explains the spam filter part and how the guy got it to work...it's over my head, but probably not over everyone here...and it may help with the eventual solution.

http://dbacl.sourceforge.net/spam_chess-1.html

Cheers,
Geoff

I've got an Excel version of the board and men that I cobbled up, but no, I'm not about to try to program it to play the game. I occasionally use it to set up chess problems so I can move the pieces around, it's a little faster than getting out the board an box of chessmen.

stacase@hotmail.com

conditional format the area to color the squares:
=MOD(COLUMN(),2)=MOD(ROW(),2)

* This pattern is incorrect (it's the inverse of what it should be) so color the conditional formatted cells white and then color the entire area manually a darker color to get the proper placement of the black to white setup - each player should have a black square on the left bottom when they face the board

I know this is a very old post to reply to, but one little change fixes the colouring
=MOD(COLUMN(),2)<>MOD(ROW(),2)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCOACW

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back