Excel CPU usage

BristolJGM

I've recently upgraded my PC from an old Intel i7 with 8 cores to a new AMD Ryzen 5950x with 16 cores.

The Ryzen is supposed to be about 5x faster than the Intel. However, when running a large spreadsheet with lots of VLOOKUPs, AVERAGEIFs and SUMIFs, the CPU only uses about 60% of the CPU whereas the Intel would use 100% of the CPU, so it is only about 3x faster at calculating the spreadsheet.

Worse, I thought I could use the new PC for larger spreadsheets which are about double the size. I hoped this would push CPU usage up to 100%. In fact, it doesn't - it actually decreases it to 30%! So I am using under a third of the capacity of my expensive new PC. Is this answer that it depends on the spreadsheet and, if so, why did my old Intel PC use 100% of the CPU in calculating it?

Btw VLOOKUP is about the same speed as INDEX/ MATCH in this spreadsheet but query whether using the latter would result in more CPU usage.

It's set to use all 32 cores with multi-threaded calculation set to 'on.' Hardware acceleration is disabled and it's set to 'Performance' in Windows.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this/ how I can fix it? In some other situations Excel will use 100% of the CPU - just not the one I want!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back