Excel table To split or not to split??

zozew

Hello masters of excel!

I need advice...

I have a data set or a table with about 6000 rows and about 20 columns of text and another 15 or so with some formulas splitting some strings then DATEDIF and then converting to years and months a few times over.. So.. Not a huge amount of of data but still enough so that when I add a column to the table it takes about 20s on my old old AMD A8 desktop.. And if I sort a columns it takes about 10s

So to the question, I've been researching, asking chatgpt and then researching and testing and come to the point where I need some human touch to this question..

Is there a way to split the table with the simple text columns as I will use them 90% of the time and be able to sort and search and move a round easier with the formula columns in a another sheet? Either dynamic referencing, or pivot tables or some type of copying?

This master table will get new rows added to it and removed a few times a day.. Not a huge amount.. But still..

Basically it's a data set of people and personal info and then a bunch of calculation with dates and numbers using column formulas..

Cheers any help appreciated 🙏

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Split table for quicker searching and sorting??
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Split table for quicker searching and sorting??
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
OK, gotcha! Slap on the wrist accepted 🙏do I need to update my post with the link to the other post or is your link ok?

Thank you

Upvote 0
The link I provided is fine, bu in future you need to do that yourself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back