Excel data permission

Emi96s

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi! I hope someone can help me. I will try to explain.
I have an excel that pulls data from another excel spreadsheet. I have full access for this excel, but I do not have the permission to the folder on the server where the main spreadsheet is located ( the excel from where the data is taken from). Is it possible somehow for the administrator to share this data with me live( the main excel file are the employee timesheets, and I have to see the total hours), but without giving me full permission to see the whole main excel(the employee actual timesheets.
I hope this makes sense.

Or maybe there is a way around this.. to share the live data online automatically or through another program.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
#1 The administrator could password protect all the time sheet workbooks and give you the password to the single workbook you are seeking.
#2 He / she could send you a copy of the workbook you are seeking.
#3 He / she would place a copy of the workbook in a separate folder that requires a password to access.

Since you have a legitimate need to access the file, it should be sent to you automatically at a set day / time each week. But then Administrators are known to be difficult.

Upvote 0
#1 The administrator could password protect all the time sheet workbooks and give you the password to the single workbook you are seeking.
#2 He / she could send you a copy of the workbook you are seeking.
#3 He / she would place a copy of the workbook in a separate folder that requires a password to access.

Since you have a legitimate need to access the file, it should be sent to you automatically at a set day / time each week. But then Administrators are known to be difficult.
Thanks for answering.
But I don’t think it s going to work.

Imagine there are 10 folders made for the 10 employees of the company. Each folder contains an excel spreadsheet with their timesheet, where they enter the time of coming to work and leaving, every single day. Each folder has permission set only for that specific employee, so no one else can enter this to see each others timesheet. Somewhere else on the server, there is the excel showing the attendance of all employees (if they are logged in, or they left work etc), but the data is taken from the excels in those folders that I do not have access to. The administrator would have to share this excel to me everyday but he is not going to do that.
That’s why I was thinking there might be a way I could have access to this summary excel somehow even tho o do not have access to the restricted folders… even with the password is not going to work because when I go into this excel, is going to ask me for the passwords of the other excels with the time sheets if I want to see the data…
I was also thinking that this excel could be shared somewhere so anyone could see the data live..
probably this can’t be resolved..

Upvote 0
Well now it sounds like you are wanting to 'go behind the administrator's back' to obtain the data.

Why isn't the administrator willing to send the data to you if you have a legitimate need for it ? If this is the case, you should go to the company CEO and request assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back