Concerned about one trying to do too much within one workbook

juscuz419

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a timesheet workbook tool that I am concerned about trying to do too much within it (more than just time sheet generation and modification). Is there a way for me to split the base data file (lets call it employee data) and save it in the cloud. Then have the timesheet workbook go get data from it (without having to open the cloud file) and populate fields within the timesheet tool when the tool is opened. Main concern is that there are multiple users and multiple uses of the tool right now. Users ask can I create something that will do X, Y, or Z (a lot of the requests don't really have anything to do with building or modifying a timesheet. I think would like to get to a point of creating separate workbooks to do the separate tasks. Such as create and modify timesheets, update the employee data file, create rosters for deployment events, etc.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
IMO, Excel is good for analyzing/calculating/graphing data but not so much as a "do everything" tool. At some point, one reaches a complexity that really requires a proper normalized database. As for db's I often see questions about whether or not you should put M$ Access on something like One Drive and open (not download) the file and the answer is NO - it's a sure fire recipe for corruption. I have to imagine that this would be the case for Excel as well. As for downloading from such places then working on them then uploading changed files, you have the problem of syncing everyone's changes. A properly designed and split db that is used on a wired network is really the way to go. Remote users can safely use it via Remote Desktop (aka Terminal Services?) or Citrix.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back