Excel Formula Conundrum with SUM and COUNTIFS

Excel_User_10k

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel Formula:
=(SUM(E15/(COUNTIF(New_or_Upgrade,"New"))))

Currently I have am using the above formula to Calculate the percentage of how many of the value in "E15" there are out of a Table of Sales. However, I need it to be more specific and I cannot figure out how to do this without messing up the SUM. I want "E15" to be divided by the Total (where the value of "New" in one Column is the basis and then it counts how many of several criteria in another column that can also include * variable as it is not an exact match).

So something along the lines of:

=(SUM(E15/(COUNTIF(New_or_Upgrade,"New", AND the Sales_Type is A, B and C))))

I cannot find the Formula translation for this and if anything like this does work, it only divides E15 value into the initial "New" criteria.

Hopefully I am explaining myself well and someone has a solution?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Perhaps

=E15/SUM(COUNTIF(New_or_Upgrade,"New", Sales_Type{"A","B","C"}))
Hi Jason, thanks for answering so quickly.

I never would have thought of having E15 and then SUM formula, but this formula isn't working either unfortunately. It doesn't like the second ref "Sales_Type". Which is a real reference, but I think it is because you used COUNTIF rather than COUNTIFS. So it only recognises the first range and criteria.

But then again, it doesn't work with COUNTIFS either. Just comes up the with usual error saying "excel thinks you are trying to write a formula..."

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that @jasonb75 meant
Excel Formula:
=E15/SUM(COUNTIFS(New_or_Upgrade,"New", Sales_Type,{"A","B","C"}))
Hi Peter,

Yeah I picked up in that but it still isn't working. Keeps highlighting the Sales_Type ref but I don't understand why because it is a valid name and it comes up whilst I am typing it.

Upvote 0
Yeah I picked up in that but it still isn't working. Keeps highlighting the Sales_Type ref but I don't understand why because it is a valid name and it comes up whilst I am typing it.
Are you sure that you tried what I posted? As well as using COUNTIFS, it also includes another comma that was missing from Jason's formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure that you tried what I posted? As well as using COUNTIFS, it also includes another comma that was missing from Jason's formula.
Ah ok. Yeah I missed that. I was looking at it on my phone haha. It is working now. Thanks very much guys 👍

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back