Excel Formula Help - In Which Year did X Occur

Sundance_Kid

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

See the below image, I want a formula to tell me in which year (most recent) was the last amount of Sales greater than 0. AS you can see for Product A that will have been 2021, but for Product B it will be 2024.

Is there some formula that can return the correct (most recent) year.

Thanks

Excel Formula Query_15.11.2023.png

@Arts prior to Dynamic Array capability (MS 365 / O 2021 or greater), that concept would only have worked using Index Match entered as an array formula using "Control + Shift + Enter". The closest you would have gotten to that method would be the Lookup formula using the format "=Lookup(2, 1/((range1=value1)*(range2=value2)), range_to_return)", so you weren't wrong in your thinking.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
@Alex Blakenburg I think the closest I would have come to using any method would have been a post on this forum asking for help!

But what you just mentioned about using older versions I don't have excel 365 at home (client where I work does) so I often try to resolve problems on this board on older versions of excel for learning purposes. Had a bit of down time now so was actually playing around with this current post seeing how I would have solved it without XLOOKUP (you mentioned the lookup method so will look into that as well) below image of me messing around to see how I would have gone about it....(sorry for the digression)

1700130238728.png

But this board is a great place to learn and even more helpful when guys like you Rory, joe, Peter, Fluff and co take the time out to only solve issues but also explain.

Upvote 0
@Arts, there is the additional issue that you want the "last" occurence, the pre-dynamic array versions will find the first occurence.
I forgot that in post #2 @Phuoc, used Lookup if you want to try it out. It actually returns the last occurence and works in 2016.
PS: I am going to leave it there.

Upvote 0
Hi
quick ques on this if @Phuoc could answer or anyone else in your LOOKUP formula your Lookup_value has 2 in this but when I enter a different number this still seems to return the desired result, could you please explain how this works ? The screenshot below I have changed the lookup_value to 5 I still seem to get the correct result in this instance
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2)

1700147842445.png

Upvote 0
Posting for learning purposes (for others that may have also asked the question in previous post)

1700236988223.png

Upvote 0
Try this

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I3:I4I3=LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2)

Hi all

Sorry to re-visit an old (ish) post but in the quest of knowledge the question was very relevant to this example. The solution above had the formula

=LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2) which gave the desired result. What I was wondering was the 1/(B3:G3>0) aspect returns a 1 if a TRUE is given. (please confirm)

What I wanted to ask was that I had read that -- (double dash) also does this but if I was to replace the formula with

=LOOKUP(2,--(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2) this gives me a different result.

In short why does -- and 1/ give different results if they are both mean't to converts TRUE to 1.

Many thanks as always

Upvote 0
if they are both mean't to converts TRUE to 1.
They don't do that, the double unary (--) will convert true to 1 & false to 0, but the 1/ will return a #div/0! error rather than 0 for false.

Upvote 0
I can only apologising to keep coming back to this but where I understand one aspect another question pops up but hopefully this will be the last on it as this will answer why the outcome is different.

If I was to go down the route of -- (double dash) this would give me a bunch 1 and 0's to be precise =LOOKUP(2,--(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2) highlighted aspect gives {1,0,0,0,0,0) image attached.

1706542289797.png

In theory this should work?? As we are looking for >0 (B3:G3>0) so why would this return a different result to the original formula =LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:G3>0),$B$2:$G$2) which is also returning a value of more than 0 (both methods have a 1 in the result and we are after more than 0 but seem to get different results)

1706542498141.png

so the lookup would look for the next largest value smaller than the lookup value of 2...

I hope what I am asking makes sense

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnfromHGT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back