Excel history

sumandak060679

Hi,

Scenario:
I created an excel file name 1234.
I keep making changes to this files for four days.
On the fourth day, I accidentally clicked NO when the window prompt me to save. On the fifth day, I opened the file again and I realized that I wanted the data which I didn't save on the fourth day.

Question:
Is that any way that I can find a file history of this files to track the changes that I made to this files? e.g. Day 1,2,3,4 ?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You're probably out of luck. There are some decent utilities out there such as Go Back, and legend has it that Windows Restore has some redeeming value, but unless you've placed the utility on your system and saved the document beforehand, or had restore turned on beforehand, you'll probably need to re-create the lost data.

Upvote 0
One trick worth trying: do a Start | Search | Files or Folders, and search for all files ending in tmp (put this in the search window *.tmp )
Then sort the results by date/time column (just click on the date heading a couple of times) until today's date is at the top.
Next, look for a combination of two factors: the date/time of your "misdeed", and a file of some size other than a few kilobytes. If ANY file comes close to meeting these two factors, right-click on that file and rename it to any name you like, ending in .xls.
Now this file will LOOK like an excel file, but you will know if it is when you open it in Excel. The theory here is simple: Windows will create temporary files that support what we're doing from time to time on the computer. Sometimes these temporary files can be recovered and reused, and its worth the effort to see if any of these files "match" what we lost. Good Luck!
Larry.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back