excel index match with formula in a table using headers not working

leefletcher

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to do an index/match using column headings in a table where there is a formula creating the information in the lookup array, but I'm getting an error. Table 1 has the First and Last names with a formula to create the full name. Table2 has the Full Name and the school I want to return. If I copy and paste the Full Name over the formula in Table1, the formula in School in Table2 returns the correct School from Table1.

Table1
First NameLast NameFull Name*School
DavidChaudhri=PROPER([@[First Name]])&" "&PROPER([@[Last Name]])Bayshore Conservatory
ReinhardVinter=PROPER([@[First Name]])&" "&PROPER([@[Last Name]])River Valley Institute
EmmaCoeman=PROPER([@[First Name]])&" "&PROPER([@[Last Name]])Ravenwood School for Girls
PharaildisChristensen=PROPER([@[First Name]])&" "&PROPER([@[Last Name]])Bayshore Academy
PhanuelBarsamian=PROPER([@[First Name]])&" "&PROPER([@[Last Name]])Maple Park High School
*I used Proper because the First and Last Names are imported from another source that does not have standard formatting.

Table2
Full NameSchool
David Chaudhri=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1,MATCH([@[Full Name]],Table1[Full Name],0),MATCH(Table2[[#Headers],[School]],Table1[#Headers],0)),"")
Reinhard Vinter=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1,MATCH([@[Full Name]],Table1[Full Name],0),MATCH(Table2[[#Headers],[School]],Table1[#Headers],0)),"")
Emma Coeman=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1,MATCH([@[Full Name]],Table1[Full Name],0),MATCH(Table2[[#Headers],[School]],Table1[#Headers],0)),"")
Pharaildis Christensen=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1,MATCH([@[Full Name]],Table1[Full Name],0),MATCH(Table2[[#Headers],[School]],Table1[#Headers],0)),"")
Phanuel Barsamian=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1,MATCH([@[Full Name]],Table1[Full Name],0),MATCH(Table2[[#Headers],[School]],Table1[#Headers],0)),"")

Is there a way to pull first and last name together so that the formula works?

The second formula can't create a circular reference if it's in Table2.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Ok, well, after I copy your data over, it works.

However, I created this spreadsheet from another one that has more private data. It contains the exact same formulas and structure. Any ideas on how I figure out what is wrong with the data?

Thank you, again, for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flovalflyer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back