Excel Macro Copy from one worksheet and paste to other worksheet and sort the data pasted.

Ben AFF

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have a Macro that allows to select a file from an open workbook, copy the data from the selected workbook into the open workbook.
The copied / pasted data has multiple columns.
This macro is working well but I need the data pasted to be also sorted in descending order according to a specific column A (which has dates)
Please can you help me with what coding needs to be modified for the data pasted to be also sorted based on column A values dates? Thank you.

Sub OpenFile()

Dim FileToOpen As Variant
Dim OpenBook As Workbook

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

FileToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename(Title:="Select Workbook", FileFilter:="Excel Files (*.xlsx*), *xlsx*")
'& "Excel Files(*xlsx*), *xlsx*")
If FileToOpen <> False Then

Set OpenBook = Application.Workbooks.Open(FileToOpen)

OpenBook.Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Copy
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

OpenBook.Close False
Else
MsgBox "No file was selected!"

End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi - maybe this could help you :

VBA Code:
Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    Range("A2:S" & LastRow).Sort Key1:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

The code finds the last row of data, then sorts column A as Ascending. You can use Descending also if you prefer ?

I dont know how big your data is, so I've assume its in columns "A to S" for example, starting row 2. But you can amend that

cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Hi - maybe this could help you :

VBA Code:
Dim LastRow As Long
    Range("A2:S" & LastRow).Sort Key1:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

The code finds the last row of data, then sorts column A as Ascending. You can use Descending also if you prefer ?

I dont know how big your data is, so I've assume its in columns "A to S" for example, starting row 2. But you can amend that

cheers
Rob
Thank you Rob, much appreciated I pasted this code just under this line
Dim LastRow As Long

When I run the macro, its working as expected but the data is still not sorted. Please would you advise? Thank you

Upvote 0
Can you tell me a little more about the data thats pasted, in terms of how many columns, and whats in each column ? I assume your dates are in Col A already ?
thanks
Rob

Upvote 0
Can you tell me a little more about the data thats pasted, in terms of how many columns, and whats in each column ? I assume your dates are in Col A already ?
thanks
Rob
Hi Rob yes, the range of columns is from A:BE (is a long data set and I adapted that in your line of code). The dates are in column A. The format of the dates is MM/DD/YYYY. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Cant really see why - try putting it here instead - as my tests appear to work. I used this code : (sorry, jut amended it to your data size BE and Descending)

VBA Code:
Sub OpenFile()

Dim OpenBook As Workbook

FileToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename(Title:="Select Workbook", FileFilter:="Excel Files (*.xlsx*), *xlsx*")

OpenBook.Close False

Dim LastRow As Long
    Range("A2:BE" & LastRow).Sort Key1:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlNo
Else

End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Cant really see why - try putting it here instead - as my tests appear to work. I used this code : (sorry, jut amended it to your data size BE and Descending)

VBA Code:
Sub OpenFile()

Dim OpenBook As Workbook

OpenBook.Close False

Dim LastRow As Long
    Range("A2:BE" & LastRow).Sort Key1:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlNo
Else

End If

End Sub
Perfect. It worked now. Thank you so Much Rob!

Upvote 0
Great - I guess there was a little confusion between both your open files, so one had to be closed first.

Thanks for the feedback

Rob

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a Macro that allows to select a file from an open workbook, copy the data from the selected workbook into the open workbook.
The copied / pasted data has multiple columns.
This macro is working well but I need the data pasted to be also sorted in descending order according to a specific column A (which has dates)
Please can you help me with what coding needs to be modified for the data pasted to be also sorted based on column A values dates? Thank you.

Sub OpenFile()

Dim OpenBook As Workbook

OpenBook.Close False
Else

End If

End Sub
Hey hi, so this code worked for me for one of my project, but I had quick question and wanted to see if we copy first set of data and move to next row. From next row the next set of data should be copied from another file. Could you hep me with that please

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back