Excel macro for returning values based on adjacent cells and further calculations

MiteshG

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Members,

I have excel data in following format. (example)

Entity​
Shareholder 1​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 2​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 3​
Shareholding %​
ABC​
XYZ ltd​
50​
STU ltd​
25​
PQR ltd​
25​
XYZ ltd​
DEF ltd​
75​
JKL ltd​
25​

Based on this data, I would like to calculate indirect shareholding % of DEF ltd in each entity. Like below -
Entity​
Shareholder 1​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 2​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 3​
Shareholding %​
DEF Ltd. Indirect Holding %​
ABC​
XYZ ltd​
50​
STU ltd​
25​
PQR ltd​
25​
37.5​
XYZ ltd​
DEF ltd​
75​
JKL ltd​
25​
75​

I have done this calculation manually but this is to be done for multiple rows. What is the best way to do this calculation through either macro or formula?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
If you explain exactly how the formula is calculated (in plain English, referring to your sample data), we can probably help you come up with the formula you need.

Upvote 0
Sure @Joe4. Thanks for your response. I have attached the mini sheet here.

Book3
E
Sheet1

Essentially, DEF ltd could be a direct Shareholder 1, 2 or 3 for any entity and it can also be a indirect shareholder (as shown in the 1st data row). My goal is to calculate the shareholding % of DEF for each entity

Upvote 0
You need to select more than one cell when copying/pasting the mini-sheet.
Select all the cells you want to copy first.

Upvote 0

Book3
E
Sheet1

Essentially, DEF ltd could be a direct Shareholder 1, 2 or 3 for any entity and it can also be a indirect shareholder (as shown in the 1st data row). My goal is to calculate the shareholding % of DEF for each entity
Correct sheet

EntityShareholder 1Shareholding %Shareholder 2Shareholding %Shareholder 3Shareholding %DEF Ltd. Indirect Holding %
ABCXYZ ltd50STU ltd25PQR ltd2537.5
XYZ ltdDEF ltd75JKL ltd2575

Upvote 0

Book3
E
Sheet1

Sorry, it still is not quite clear to me.
Remember, while you are familiar with the problem and what you want to do with it, we are not. All we know is what you elect to share with us here.
So pretend that you are doing a presentation to a group of people who know nothing about what you are trying to do.

Please walk us through an actual detailed example, quoting numbers, and show us exactly how you arrive at those numbers.

Upvote 0
Sorry, it still is not quite clear to me.
Remember, while you are familiar with the problem and what you want to do with it, we are not. All we know is what you elect to share with us here.
So pretend that you are doing a presentation to a group of people who know nothing about what you are trying to do.

Please walk us through an actual detailed example, quoting numbers, and show us exactly how you arrive at those numbers.
To explain in detail -

Problem Statement - To calculate shareholding % of a company in an entity.

Example 1 -
Entity​
Shareholder 1​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 2​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 3​
Shareholding %​
XYZ ltd​
DEF ltd​
75​
JKL ltd​
25​

In the above example, DEF ltd is a direct shareholder of XYZ and shareholding % as 75%. So, my answer in this case would be 75%.

Example 2 -
Entity​
Shareholder 1​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 2​
Shareholding %​
Shareholder 3​
Shareholding %​
ABC​
XYZ ltd​
50​
STU ltd​
25​
PQR ltd​
25​

In the above example, DEF ltd is not a direct shareholder of ABC. However, XYZ is a shareholder of ABC at 50% and as we saw in example 1, DEF is shareholder of XYZ at 75%. So, DEF is indirectly holding ABC. Now, to understand what's the % of indirect holding, I have considered (50*75)/100 = 37.5. So, DEF is indirectly holding 37.5% of ABC.

As seen in above examples, DEF can be a direct or indirect shareholder in each entity and I need to calculate the % holding (either direct or indirect)

Upvote 0
Oh wow, this looks like it could get really messy/complicated, not just because of the INDIRECT nature, but also because you have multiple columns on each row for Shareholders (Shareholder 1, Shareholder 2, Shareholder 3). I am not sure if you might really have more than 3 Shareholders for a row, and just simplified it here for demonstration purchases.

And your second row shows an Indirect relationship, but might you also have some indirect relationship 2 or more levels removed?
For example, a 3rd row in which maybe you have entity MMM with has ABC as a shareholder.
So since MMM has ABC as a Shareholder
and ABC has XYZ as a Shareholder;
MMM has an indirect holding of Def Ltd.

Now I can see why you are doing this manually. I cannot think of a really good way to do it, especially the way that the data is structured.

Upvote 0
Oh wow, this looks like it could get really messy/complicated, not just because of the INDIRECT nature, but also because you have multiple columns on each row for Shareholders (Shareholder 1, Shareholder 2, Shareholder 3). I am not sure if you might really have more than 3 Shareholders for a row, and just simplified it here for demonstration purchases.

And your second row shows an Indirect relationship, but might you also have some indirect relationship 2 or more levels removed?
For example, a 3rd row in which maybe you have entity MMM with has ABC as a shareholder.
So since MMM has ABC as a Shareholder
and ABC has XYZ as a Shareholder;
MMM has an indirect holding of Def Ltd.

Now I can see why you are doing this manually. I cannot think of a really good way to do it, especially the way that the data is structured.
Thanks @Joe4.

To answer the 1st question - I have values till Shareholder 4. (1, 2, 3, 4 in total)
Regarding the indirect relationship, it exists at 1 level only. So, I was hoping there could be a way to achieve this through some formula or macro as I have 1000 data rows to calculate

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back