Excel Online =IF

DaveMacdonald

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My IF formula keeps returning the formula as if it were text (excel online). I've noticed that if something is wrong with the formula then it does that. I've tried this five or six different ways and it's not working for me at all. Any assistance would be great. I am calculating expiration dates. There's a "Contractor Basic" and "Contractor Refresher". Basic is only done once and lasts for 3 years, then after that, they do Refresher. After the initial "Contractor Basic" expires, I want the cell to return "N/A" instead of a date. Here's what I have so far.

Contractor
Basic
Contractor Basic
*Expiration*
Contractor
Refresher
Contractor Refresher
*Expiration*
11/15/2013=IF([@[Contractor Refresher]]<>"","N/A",EDATE([@[Contractor Basic]],36))9/7/20199/7/2022

It either just doesn't work in Excel online, or much more likely, I've messed it up somewhere. There are 17 rows now in total but eventually, there will be a couple hundred, all with different dates for different individuals. The whole thing (many other expiration dates) is formatted as a table. I've tried IFS as well but that doesn't work either.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Check that you don't have line feeds in the column headers.

Upvote 0
Solution
If you select the cell with "Contractor Basic" & look at the formula bar, is it on one line or two?

Upvote 0
Ohh yeah I do that for the Expiration columns (alt+enter). Unbelievable! I removed all those and it worked perfectly. I knew it had to be either me or the fine people at Microsoft... don't need two guesses for who was to blame! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back