Excel Query (Access Data Source) Incorrectly Returning Blank Values

neadbecker

I have a table in Excel that is linked to Query "C" set up in Access. Query "C" is made up of Query "A" and Query "B" also in Access. Since my issue is seen in Excel, I'm posting in the Excel forum. If this should be in the Access forum, let me know.

Query "A" = 9k records
Query "B" = 200 records
Query "C" = 8 fields from "A", 2 fields from "B" It has an outer join on a common field so that all 9k records display and the 2 fields have 200 records with values, and 8800 with null.

When I run query "C" in Access, the data pulls up as expected, meaning I see all 9k records and most of the data in the 2 fields from "B" show null and 200 of the records in that field have data.

When I refresh the Excel table linked to query "C", I get all 9k records and the 8 fields from Query "A", but the 2 fields from Query "B" are all blank. I have never seen this happen before, and I do this same routine with the same kind of data a lot.

I modified query "C" so that one of those two fields so return the string "Field Is Null" if the record in that field is null. If the record in that field is not null then return the value. This works as expected in Access.

When I refresh the Excel table at this point after saving these changes in Access, every record in this field now shows "Field is Null" instead of blanks.

I'm completely lost as to why this is happening.

Any thoughts? Excel & Access 2013 Windows 7

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back