Excel Question: Gantt Chart Formula Problem

Kerstin

Hi There,

I came across a wonderful youtube video (courtesy of Excelfun - MrExcel) explaining how to make a Gantt Chart - Staff workday chart using start and finish times with conditional formatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaisZI6i75U

The example was very clear and I was able to make a chart with start and finish times on the left and the day going horizontally across the sheet.

I am using Excel 2016

I altered the chart to contain staff names in Column A and also changed the hourly to include half hour increments and all was well.

However I wanted to change the chart to be vertical as it will print out nicely onto an A4 sheet; but for love nor money can I get it to work properly this way around!

Firstly I couldn't get a formula to work for the whole range (so that all staff work hours were formatted the same colour as per the example) but eventually
I figured a conditional formula that sort of works for each column separately (which actually is great because each staff member can be a different colour), but the problem is that it will not recognise 18:30!

If the member of staff works 15:00 to 19:00 then the chart formats correctly and those cells change colour, if they work 15:00 to 18:00 no problem...but if they work till 18:30 the formatting simply shades 15:00 to 18:00 only.
It works OK with every other half hour increment from 08:00 to 09:30 onwards

I am assuming that it simply is not recognising 18:30 from cell C5 and I do not know why, I have tried changing the time formats but this doesn't help

My Conditional formula is =AND($A6>=B$3,$A7<=B$5) - applied to range C6:C28
Row 1 - Contains the Day the Chart Applies to....Thursday 9th March
Row 2 - Staff Names running from Column B:J
Row 3 - Start Time
Row 4 - Number of hours
Row 5 - Finish Time
Column A - 6:28 = 08:00 to 19:00 in half hour increments

A6 is the first time: 08:00 AM and A7 is the second time: 08:30
B3 & B5 are Camilla's start and finish time,
(I should note that B3 has no formula, one enters the start time manually but C5 contains =IF(C4<4,C3+C4/24,C3+(C4/24)+(0.5/24))
basically B3 + B2, but if they work 4 hrs or less then they do not get a lunch break of half an hour)

Please help!

Many thanks

Kerstin

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Sorry, my last paragraph does not make sense because I copied the wrong formula and got confused!

It should have said:

I should note that B3 has no formula, one enters the start time manually but B5 contains =IF(B4<4,B3+B4/24,B3+(B4/24)+(0.5/24))
basically B3 + B2, but if they work 4 hrs or less then they do not get a lunch break of half an hour)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyCap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back