Excel Random crash mystery

Viking74

This problem has been going on for a couple of years and has become become very frustrating. I've sought help on various web sites over the last several years, but have never been able to solve it.

I built an Excel application with VBA macros a couple of years ago (on Excel 2000 I think - I'm now on 2003) on XP. I've worked on it over the years - adding this or deleting that, both because my needs for it have changed and also to see if I might accidently fix the problem.

The problem is this - when I run the application on Excel, most of the time it works great, but, almost at random, it crashes and I have to restart Excel. The only hints I have to it are as follows:

Crashes can occur at any time while the application is running - not at any particular event. Sometimes I'm just setting there looking at the screen thinking about what I want to do next - and it just crashes.

Running some macros in the application seem to make it a bit more stable - that is, if I run a macro that does reports frequently, I tend to have fewer problems (but not always).

Sometimes it gets to the point where it crashes every time I try to do something, even just change a value in a cell, and, then, the next day, it seems fine.

If it really gets bad, like to the point where it crashes when I first start the application, if I open the application, but disable macros, save it, and then reopen it and enable macros, its fine.

The application has a lot of internal worksheet linking and the macros copy and paste a lot of data between worksheets. Sometimes I get the impression that there's some internal Excel setting or somesuch that's getting confused, maybe related to formatting or copying and pasting, that's getting set to a conflicting value and Excel simply gives up. Its somehow related to macros, or aggrevated when macros are enabled.

I've never had any formal training in VBA, so it may well be that I'm not setting something up right, but the macros do seem to work, as does the application - most of the time.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
What, if any, error messages are you getting?

Upvote 0
Hi:

Are the macros retrieving data from other sources than your machine....ie looking at files that may be shared by other intranet users? Would there be any sharing of files?

plettieri

Upvote 0
For plettieri - Yes, from another Excel file on our LAN. I use a copy of the application for each project we have and all pull (only pull) data from this file on the LAN. No one can access it over the internet - only thru the LAN. I don't think that's the problem, though, because one reason I have that LAN based file was to possibly solve the problem by reducing the size of each model - it only pulls in the data it needs.

For Oaktree - Yes - not recently, but I have tried it and it doesn't seem to have any affect. If I use it again, is there anything I can look for to see if it "fixed" something?

For Norie - I've not looked at the error log recently that Excel is generating when it announces its closing Excel. I've been trying to get it to crash all afternoon so I can post it - of course, the d... thing won't crash. I'll get the log next time though.

Upvote 0
Okay, it crashed a few minutes ago - this time when I selected "print preview" to print a worksheet. Here's the top part of the error report Excel generated:

MIcrosoft Office Excel
Error signature

AppName: excel.exe AppVer: 11.0.6355.0 AppStamp: 40aa979f
ModName: fm20.dll ModVer: 11.0.6254.0 ModStamp: 4046d6bd
fDebug: 0 Offset: 0005c49a

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x000000000453c49a

It means nothing to me. Hopefully, it'll mean something to someone out there.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
plettieri, I read through the links, and I have tried some of that. The problem is that the crashes only occur occasionally at the start. More often its at some random time while I'm using the application. And its not just my computer. I've tried it on other workstations and the same thing happens.

Its almost as though I'm doing something that, while not technically worng, is not what's expected, and Excel, at some point, becomes confused and crashes.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Its almost as though I'm doing something that, while not technically worng, is not what's expected, and Excel, at some point, becomes confused and crashes.
Gremlins.

At some point it would seem that your wb got corrupted. Or Excel/Windows is having a problem.

I have 2 managers out of 30 who have similar problems and no one has been able to pinpoint the problem(s), but the most common thread between the 2 is the complete randomness of crashes.

It could be a registry issue, but of course, I'm not allowed to access that, except on my own PC...

Just some thoughts,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobmudombe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back