Excel & Sharepoint - Macro write permission only to excel workbook.

Codey

Hi

I have a tool set up that consists of 3 excel workbooks and 4 sharepoint repositories.

The first workbook has a number of macros that creates a user form to be completed, once completed and submitted the macro creates a pdf print of the form and saves it in one repository. It also writes all the information in the submitted form to a second "database" excel workbook.

The third excel workbook is simply a linked duplicate version of the database. This was created to ensure that I could open a version of the database without preventing anybody from using the tool that needs to write to the main database.

I would like to prevent any users apart from myself gaining access to the database however I need to grant contribute access to all by default to enable the tool to write to the database in the first instance. Presently I have the permission level set so users cannot delete the database and it is very discrete in that it's hidden in the site (not on navigation menus) and the database doesn't visibly open on the users screen when they use the tool.

Does anyone one have any ideas of how i can enable write acces to the database when only the macro in the first workbook writes to it and prevent all other means of view and read access I.e if someone happened to find the database?

The only possible method I can think at present is if I shaded the database such that the cells contents were not visible and could not be selected and then locked the sheet. A macro would then then be recorded in the sheet that writes to the database to unlock and then relock when a form had been submitted.

This seems a little crude though.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back