Excel time/date stamp of a cell change

SemiAuto40

Hey All, This must be one of the most common questions in Excel but all of the "solutions" that I have found while searching do not work (or I am not implementing properly).

This is the problem: once a value changes in a cell on Sheet1, I need the corresponding cell in Sheet2 to get the Now() value when the cell on Sheet1 was changed. Ex: Sheet1!E6 gets a value - then Sheet2!E6 shows something like 2/17/12 8:45:33.

I want this to be generic enough to apply to a range of cells, not just a one time event.... and such that all of the cells in Sheet2 holding the Now() value don't all display the exact same time like my failed attempts do.

If VB is involved I need specific instructions on where to put in and please phrase it in a 4th grade level.;)

Please:confused: My sanity is at stake here.

Last edited:
Excellent!! I am really happy that I signed up for this forum.
Your welcome!
And welcome aboard!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi,

I'm new to the group, and a real novice at Excel. Hoping to learn a lot from you all!

I keep a project pipeline for my company, where Column I is my note field, and Column H is my Date Updated field. I'm trying to configure the sheet so that when I make any change to a cell in Column I, the adjacent cell in Column H auto-updates to the current date.

I have been trying to figure this out for hours........... :(

If you have any advice, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jessica

Upvote 0
I keep a project pipeline for my company, where Column I is my note field, and Column H is my Date Updated field. I'm trying to configure the sheet so that when I make any change to a cell in Column I, the adjacent cell in Column H auto-updates to the current date.
Welcome to the Board!
This variation should do that:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Column = 9 Then Target.Offset(0, -1) = Date
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! This worked perfectly (and helped me figure out how to do something similar with another set of columns)! I'm so excited to become better at Excel! :)
Thanks again!
Jessica

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Sure, just add the condition to the IF statement, i.e.
change:
Code:
If Target.Count = 1 Then
to:
Code:
If (Target.Count = 1) and (Target = "Completed") Then

Hi

How can i get this to work if anything other than specific text string, say "Hello", is entered into a specific column? so if goodbye is entered (or anything else), it prints date and time in corresponding cells, if hello is, it doesnt.

I have this so far:

If (Target.Column = 17) and (target.column <> "Hello") Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Offset(, 1).Value = Date
Target.Offset(, 2).Value = Time
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

But it doesn't do anything at all. I'm not sure why. Bah.

Upvote 0
referring to the original question, how would you remove or clear the time/date stamp if the original cell was cleared

Upvote 0
referring to the original question, how would you remove or clear the time/date stamp if the original cell was cleared
I posted various blocks of code in this thread. Is there a particular block of code that would like to apply that logic to?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back