Excel transfer specific row selection from a column to neighboring column

dnjl01

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
As already mentioned in the title, I would like to transfer a selection from a column to the neighboring column in Excel.
The problem besides holding down the classic shift is that I have only selected individual rows of the column (where a certain value is in it) and only want to transfer this selection to the next column in order to assign a value to these specific rows there.
Exaample shown in the picture below, were I want a similar row selection of the "a" rows from column "A" at column "B". Per
Unbenannt.PNG

It would be perfect if only the corresponding rows in column B were selected in order to be able to enter a new value there directly. Thanks in advance for Help.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
If you were OK with a VBA solution, then try running this from the active sheet (assumes you only have constants in column A)
VBA Code:
Sub One_Column_Right()
    Dim r As Range
    Set r = Range("A:A").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    r.Offset(, 1).Value2 = r
End Sub

Upvote 0
Or if there's nothing below the last value in Column A then this will be much faster if you have thousands of rows:
VBA Code:
Sub Fast_One_Column_Right()
    Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Copy Range("B1")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Or if there's nothing below the last value in Column A then this will be much faster if you have thousands of rows:
VBA Code:
Sub Fast_One_Column_Right()
    Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Copy Range("B1")
End Sub
Thank you very much for your help so far. The line will be copied, but ALL, which means that the unselected rows get copied also.
Is there a way to really ONLY copy the selected lines, so that if there is anything in the unselected lines, they are not copied?

Upvote 0
If there are only blank cells in the rows between the cells you want to copy, then the code in post #2 should achieve that.

Upvote 0
Yes this works fine. But
If there are only blank cells in the rows between the cells you want to copy, then the code in post #2 should achieve that.
I'm sorry I was incomprehensible, but sometimes there is content in the unselected cells, which is why I attach so much importance to only transferring the selected cells. Is there a solution for this as well?

Upvote 0
Before I can do any more on this, I'll need to know the logic behind which cells are selected for copying & which cells are excluded. How do you determine this? It would also help if you could provide a sample of your actual data using the XL2BB add in.

Upvote 0
Thank you for answering so far :D
So, I have created an example file that better illustrates the target. The idea is to use these Yes/No columns for later expolaritve analyses in RStudio. These are huge Excel sheets.
Unfortunately, the arrangements of the variables a/b/c are not in the same order. So far I wanted to select all "a" of the "Measures" column via Search and then wanted to transfer this selection to the column of "Measures_a" in order to be able to insert "yes" there and fill the rest with "no" using the blank selection, like shown at the column "measure_c".
(Sorry, my Excel blocks the XL2BB add in, I hope this simple table works with this here)

project_namemeasuresmeasure_ameasure_bmeasure_c
xyza, b, cyes
xyzc, byes
xyzano
xyzbno
xyza, bno
xyzano
xyza, cyes
xyzcyes
xyzb, c, ayes
xyzbno
xyzc, ayes
xyzcyes
xyza, b, cyes
xyzano
xyzbno
xyzbno
xyzc, byes
xyzcyes
xyzano
xyza, b, cyes
xyzbno
xyzb, ano
xyzcyes
xyzano
xyzbno
xyza, c, byes
xyza, bno
xyzc, a, byes
xyza, cyes

Upvote 0
I think I understand what you want now. Try the following on a copy of your data (change the sheet name to suit). I tested it on 100k rows, came in at under 0.8 secs.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub dnjl01()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1")   '<< **Change to actual sheet name**

Dim ArrIn, ArrOut, alpha, i As Long, j As Long, s As String
    alpha = Array("a", "b", "c")
    ArrIn = ws.Range("B2", Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp))
    ReDim ArrOut(1 To UBound(ArrIn), 1 To 3)

For i = 1 To UBound(ArrIn)
        s = CStr(ArrIn(i, 1))
        For j = 1 To 3
            If InStr(1, s, alpha(j - 1)) > 0 Then ArrOut(i, j) = "yes" Else ArrOut(i, j) = "no"
        Next j
    Next i
    ws.Range("C2").Resize(UBound(ArrIn, 1), 3).Value = ArrOut
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
I think I understand what you want now. Try the following on a copy of your data (change the sheet name to suit). I tested it on 100k rows, came in at under 0.8 secs.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub dnjl01()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1")   '<< **Change to actual sheet name**

Dim ArrIn, ArrOut, alpha, i As Long, j As Long, s As String
    alpha = Array("a", "b", "c")
    ArrIn = ws.Range("B2", Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp))
    ReDim ArrOut(1 To UBound(ArrIn), 1 To 3)

For i = 1 To UBound(ArrIn)
        s = CStr(ArrIn(i, 1))
        For j = 1 To 3
            If InStr(1, s, alpha(j - 1)) > 0 Then ArrOut(i, j) = "yes" Else ArrOut(i, j) = "no"
        Next j
    Next i
    ws.Range("C2").Resize(UBound(ArrIn, 1), 3).Value = ArrOut
End Sub
Can't believe this code does everything automatically. It works wonderfully. Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back