Excel/VBA FM20.dll IPF error message

whitevanman

NB: This is a repost from OzGrid - please see http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8152

Background Info: I am creating an automated costing program in Excel using index/match formulae to retrieve data from price matrices and then various other formulae to process the data. The user selects various options from list boxes/text boxes on User Forms, and there is a fair amount of VBA code to assist in this.

Having added and formatted the second User Form, I am now seeing an error message every time I close the form, reading as follows:
EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module FM20.DLL at 0177:60057b8b
I tested it out for a while, and have discovered that the error message only appears when I select an item from any of the list boxes that requires me to scroll down to select it. (i.e. an item which is out of sight when the form loads). Changing any of the text boxes, check boxes and option boxes has no effect. The problem only occurs upon closing the form. The form does have a UserForm_Terminate event, but this is identical to the UserForm_Activate event, and in any case the problem does not occur when I step through the code in the VB editor.

The IPF error message is not limited to this form, or indeed this workbook. Now, when I open the other UserForm, which also has list boxes, the same problem occurs, and it also occurs when I open a previous version of the workbook, saved in a different location, which has only a single User Form.

This is in Excel 97, running on Windows 98. I have tested on another networked computer (the file is stored on the server) which is running Windows 95, and have the same problem, with one difference: the error message reads '...FM20.DLL at 0137:60056a8a' and the portion of the message below this point (i.e. the stack dump etc.) is different aswell.

I have tried installing the Office 97 SR2 update pack, and then reinstalling Office from the CD (not an uninstall/reinstall, just the repair option), but to no avail.

A Google search reveals only that FM20.dll is a Microsoft Forms file, and the only reported problem and fix was to do with the AutoSize property of a control, which seems to have no effect on my problem.

Well, there's plenty of detail there, so hopefully the answer will be obvious to someone - thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

wvm

---

Since posting the above on OzGrid, I have

Registered FM20.dll (and checked the VB Object Library, where MS Forms does appear)
Installed the latest Forms 2.0 Security Patch
Started Excel in safe mode
Removed the RoboPDF Addin
Deleted the personal.xls file, and restored it
Checked all the declared variables in the code with Option Explicit and debugging
Scanned the system for viruses (none were found)

all to no avail!

:oops: all help appreciated

whitevanman

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Solved: Excel/VBA FM20.dll IPF error message

Problem now solved:

I had in my form's UserForm_Terminate event a procedure which reset all the values of the controls (each one manually e.g. ListBox1.Value = "1"). I put some message boxes into my code and traced the crash to this procedure, which I have now taken out, and it works! It was the line in this procedure referring to the listbox that had been scrolled down which caused the problem.

If anyone can explain whether this is an Excel bug or whether there is a good reason for not resetting the values, I would be very grateful!

Thanks to those who sent in suggestions.

wvm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back