Excel VBA - Forwarding data to external apps via. Con.ID

b.tomlinson

I am currently writing a VBA app in excel and a part of it's required functionality is to forward data to an external apps specific field. Currently it uses Appactivate + sendkeys to call up the app window and then tabs to the required field (the window itself consists of about 5 fields, then the usual ok / cancel / etc) and forward the text to the field.

Is there a combination of API calls or native vba call that would allow me to forward data directly to the field using the windows handled and ControlID of the field? It would reduce the chance of user generated error if i could force the information directly rather than relying on sending tabs via sendkeys.

I've looked everywhere but cant seem to find a way to impliment this! I don't know enough about the API etc at this stage to know the specific functions I am looking for.

Re,

B.T

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
What is the external application? There may be an alternative to what you're thinking.

Dan

Upvote 0
It's the process app. for a laser particle sizer. The app itself doesnt have any DDE support (bummer) or support for importing worklist data. The original idea was to use DDE or hack the actual softwares access database to force the information that we are forwarding to it into the system to get taken up. Unfortunately not viable options!

The actual software is the Mastersizer 2000 app.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wabd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back